If you need to rent a vehicle, remember to shop around for the best deal for what you need.
Choosing a hire car
Before hiring and picking up a vehicle:
- inspect the vehicle for existing damage (take photos)
- ask specifically about third party insurance and do not hire a car without this insurance
- check your rights and responsibilities in the event of a single vehicle accident
- check for clauses which would leave you fully liable for any damage
- check the size of the damage excess, and in what circumstances you will be required to pay it
- make sure your licence is current
- find out where you can and cannot drive the vehicle as some hire vehicles may be restricted to a fixed area or road type.
Signing the contract
Make sure you read the contract carefully, including the fine print, and make sure you understand all of the terms and conditions.
Do not sign the contract if there is anything you do not understand or agree with.
In particular, check:
- how and when you will have to pay for any damage that you do to the vehicle, and what avenues of appeal you have if you disagree with the damage assessment given by the rental company
- deposit and insurance information
- extra fees such as early, late or airport drop-off or pick-up fees, taxes and mileage charges
- what you can do if the rental company is unable to supply the vehicle you wish to rent
- the total cost of the vehicle rental agreement.