Correct a certificate
The information on a certificate is what was correct at the time of the event. Information will not be changed to show current information, such as parents’ ages or occupations.
You can request a review of the certificate to change incorrect or missing information from when the event was registered.
After we have reviewed the event, we will let you know if you need to complete an application form, pay a fee and provide any proof of ID or supporting documents.
When to use this application form
Use this application form for:
- current life event certificates to
- correct spelling errors on a certificate
- change incorrect information supplied at the time of the event
- add certain missing information from the time of the event (e.g. occupation details)
- historical records to correct information copied into our historical index.
Don't use this application form for:
- changes to information that have occurred since the event (e.g. a change to a parent’s occupation)
- changes to information registered on historical certificates or images
- changes to a name
- adding the father/parent’s details to a birth certificate
- providing cause of death information—this can only be changed by the doctor (or coroner) who signed the original medical certificate.