Correct a certificate
The information on a certificate is what was correct at the time of the event. We can't change information to show current information, such as parents’ ages or occupations.
You can request a review of the certificate to change incorrect or missing information from when the event was registered.
For most corrections you will need to provide supporting documents from the time of the life event and your proof of ID. After we have reviewed your request, we will let you know what we need and whether a correction fee of $21.90 is payable.
When to use this application form
Use this application form for:
- current life event certificates to
- correct spelling errors on a certificate
- change incorrect information supplied at the time of the event
- add certain missing information from the time of the event (e.g. occupation details).
If you are questioning information that was submitted by a doctor, birthing staff, funeral director or marriage celebrant we may not be able to change the details. The person or agency that provided the information would need to submit further evidence that supports the information you feel is incorrect or missing information.
Don't use this application form for:
- changes to information that have occurred since the event (e.g. a change to a parent’s occupation)
- changes to information registered on historical certificates or images
- changes to a name
- adding the father/parent’s details to a birth certificate
- providing cause of death information—this can only be changed by the doctor (or coroner) who signed the original medical certificate
- historical records to correct information copied into our historical index.