Correct a certificate
The information on a certificate is what was correct at the time of the event. Information will not be changed to show current information, such as parents’ ages or occupations.
You can request a review of the certificate to change incorrect or missing information from the time the event was registered.
After we have reviewed the event, we will let you know if you need to complete an application form, pay a fee and provide any proof of ID or supporting documents.
When to use this application form
You can use this application form to:
- correct spelling errors on a certificate
- change incorrect information supplied at the time of the event
- add certain missing information from the time of the event—such as occupation details.
This application form cannot be used for:
- changes to information that have occurred since the event—such as a change to a parent’s occupation
- historical events
- changes to a name
- adding the father/parent’s details to a birth certificate
- providing cause of death information—this can only be changed by the doctor (or coroner) who signed the original medical certificate.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, we reply to online enquiries within 2 business days.
(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)
*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.