Correct a certificate

The information on a certificate is what was correct at the time of the event. Information will not be changed to show current information—such as parents’ ages or occupations.

You can request a review of the certificate to change incorrect or missing information from the time the event was registered.

After we have reviewed the event, we will let you know if you need to complete an application form, pay a fee and provide any proof of ID or supporting documents.

When to use this application form

You can use this application form to:

  • correct spelling errors on a certificate
  • change incorrect information supplied at the time of the event
  • add certain missing information from the time of the event—such as occupation details.

This application form cannot be used for:

  • changes to information that have occurred since the event—such as a change to a parent’s occupation
  • historical events
  • changes to a name
  • adding the father/parent’s details to a birth certificate
  • providing cause of death information—this can only be changed by the doctor (or coroner) who signed the original medical certificate.

Request a review of the certificate

Fill in the details below to request a review of a certificate, and a registry officer will contact you.

Please note: review requests are replied to in 2 to 5 business days.

  1. Your contact details
    1. *
  2. Your postal address
  3. Whose certificate needs to be reviewed? *
  4. Details of certificate to be reviewed Please note: when the review has been done a registry officer will contact you.
    1. Type of certificate to be reviewed *
  5. Name of person on the certificate Only the name of one partner is required for a marriage or civil partnership (formerly registered relationship).
Privacy notice
The Department of Justice and Attorney-General is collecting your personal information for the purpose of reviewing your request under section 42 of the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 2003. The information on this form may be provided to law enforcement agencies and to government and nongovernment agencies for verification of the data. Access to this information or a certificate may be granted to any person who has adequate reason to obtain it, or who meets the requirements of the access policy.

Documents you will need to provide

We will contact you if we need more information or supporting documents to support your request.  You might be asked to include the following documents if correcting:

  • the date of birth on a birth certificate—an original letter from the hospital where the birth occurred
  • the spelling of a parent’s name on a certificate—information to help us find the parent’s Queensland birth certificate showing the correct name
  • marriage details on a birth or death certificate—information to help us find the Queensland marriage certificate showing the correct details.

If the event that supports the correction has been registered interstate or overseas provide a certified photocopy of the supporting documents.

Returning certificates

You should return your certificate if it is not correct or is incomplete. If you return your certificate we can accurately advise you of any fees payable to print a new certificate.

By post

Post the original certificate you want replaced and any certified supporting documents to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

In person

Visit the Brisbane registry customer service centre at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane with the original certificate you want replaced and any certified supporting documents.

Pay the fee

We will look into your request and review the event. We will request a fee to be paid only if required.

If an error has been made by us, we will issue a new certificate free of charge.

If incorrect or incomplete information was given to us at the time the event was registered, a fee may apply and a new certificate issued.

We will give you payment options if we request a fee to be paid. Please do not send us your credit card details by email or through the request form above.

Contact us

Email, we reply to online enquiries within 2 business days.

Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3405 0985 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.