Replacement change of name certificate

If you or your child have already registered a change of name with us, you can apply for a replacement Queensland change of name certificate.

When a change of name has not already been registered, you must apply to register it.

If the birth or adoption was registered here, you may be able to choose either an:

  • official birth certificate
  • official change of name certificate.

For people born overseas, we can only issue an official change of name certificate.

If it was registered outside of Queensland, contact the interstate or overseas registering authority to get the certificate.

Download the change of name certificate application form

How to apply

  1. Check that you are eligible to apply.
  2. Download, print and fill in the change of name certificate application form.
  3. Have your supporting documents certified by a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person (if applying by post).
  4. Attach your certified proof of ID documents and additional supporting documents (as required).
  5. Submit your signed application form, along with payment and supporting documents by post or in person.

Submit by post

Post your completed application form, with your certified documents and payment to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

Submit in person

Bring your completed application form, your original proof of ID and other supporting documents (as required) to any of the following locations:

If you submit your correctly filled out application at the Brisbane registry customer service centre and the change of name has already been registered, the certificate will be given to you immediately.

Pay the fee

You will need to work out the total cost of your order and make sure you pay the correct amount.
You can pay:

  • at the customer service centre
    • by EFTPOS or credit card
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order
  • through the mail
    • within Australia
      • by credit card
      • with a business account cheque
      • with a bank cheque
      • with a money order
    • from overseas
      • by credit card.

We will accept cash at the customer service centre but prefer contactless payments such as EFTPOS or credit card.

We do not accept personal cheques or cheques issued from outside Australia (in any currency).

Make Australian-drawn cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.

Application fees

Official change of name certificate (standard postage included) $54.40

Official birth certificate with change of name shown on it (standard postage included)

Urgent application $32.20

Processing timeframe

Our processing timeframes are for correctly filled out applications that have been submitted with all the required proof of ID and supporting documents (as required).

They apply to applications submitted by post or in person at a Queensland Magistrates Court or QGAP office.

Priority Number of business days
Non-urgent certificate applications (average processing time—no additional fee)


Urgent certificate applications ($32.20)


Please allow extra time for Australia Post to deliver your certificate to your address.

Postage fees

Standard postage is included in the price when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can choose to have your certificate sent by express or registered post for a fee.

Express post $7.45
Registered post $5.55
International registered mail $17.70

We value identity protection, so we recommend that you choose registered post to ensure the delivery of your certificate can be tracked and delivered to you more securely within Australia.

International registered mail is used for overseas deliveries. However, this can’t be tracked and signing on delivery is only available in some countries.

Fee waiver

If you are suffering financial hardship and have an immediate need for a certificate, you may be able to have your application fee waived.

Learn more in our fee waiver policy and complete a request for a fee waived certificate.

Damaged certificates

We make sure your certificates leave our office in good condition.

After it’s collected from our office, we do not have control over or responsibility for any damage done to a certificate in the post.

You can lodge a claim for compensation through Australia Post. We cannot provide a replacement certificate free of charge.

Download the change of name certificate application form

Contact us

Online: our general enquiry form.

By phone: local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines are open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.