Early pregnancy loss recognition certificate
We offer our condolences for your loss.
To recognise your loss, you can apply for a free recognition certificate—there are 2 designs for you to choose from. You can't use the certificate for official purposes.
If your delivery took place after 20 weeks, you will need to register the birth.
How to apply
We are not able to register the birth but you do have the right to commemorate your family’s loss—if your baby was delivered before 20 weeks gestation or, if weeks are unknown, weighed less than 400g.
It will take you about 10 minutes to complete this application form.
Step 1—Fill out online
- Answer the questions below.
- Review your details.
- Download and print your completed application form.
Step 2—Complete on paper and submit
- Have your treating medical practitioner or midwife to sign the declaration on the application form.
- Submit your signed application form to us either:
- by post to Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, PO Box 15188, CITY EAST QLD 4002
- in person at the Brisbane registry customer service centre at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane.
Online: Our general enquiry form.
By phone: Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)
(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)
*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.