Changing careers can be stressful, however it can also offer new opportunities and challenges.
You may have many reasons to change careers or jobs. For example, your work might be boring (or too hard) or your workplace might be too demanding (or not challenging enough). You could be looking for a promotion and better pay, moving locations, or the job you're in might be ending.
Choosing a new career
When choosing a new job or career direction, think about your skills, experience and personal needs.
There are many tools to help you with your research and decision making. Some starting points are outlined below, and you can read more about matching your skills with a job.
Find career advice and overviews or contact a career adviser to assist with career counselling and making important career decisions. Some career counselling services may also help you with applying for jobs and improving your resume.
Find current vacancies
Find job vacancies that match your interests and skills, and are available near you.
Industry job trends
Review current industry job trends and read about:
- industries experiencing growth and vacancies
- careers in demand
- skills shortages
- top occupations and industries in your area.
Losing your job
All employees have rights and entitlements at work, but sometimes a career change can be forced upon you. A forced career change can happen for a number of reasons, including:
- your position being made redundant
- your employer going out of business.
Make the most of your skills
You may have work skills and life experiences but not the papers to prove it.
Through recognition of prior learning (RPL) you may be able to turn your skills into a formal qualification that could help you change careers.
- Apprenticeships and traineeships allow you to work while studying towards a nationally recognised qualification.
- Consider your job options – search for tips on what to consider when changing careers.
- Learn about JobAccess for people with disability, or phone 1800 464 800.
- Contact TAFE student support services for vocational education and training advice.