Property maintenance

Information for Queensland public housing tenants.

For non-urgent maintenance, can lodge your maintenance request by completing our online form. You will first need to create an account and log in to request maintenance online.

To create an account:

  • you need to be the current legal tenant
  • you will need to supply your rental agreement number to complete your registration.

If your request is an urgent, call your nearest Housing Service Centre’s maintenance section or our after hours number 1800 808 107 from 6pm to 6am Monday to Friday and on weekends and public holidays.

If you are living in a property owned and/or managed by a funded community housing provider, you will need to contact your provider to request maintenance to your property.

What is emergency maintenance?

Emergency maintenance refers to faults or damage which need to be fixed straight away. Not fixing them could put people's lives, health or safety at risk, for example:
  • a gas leak, exposed live bare electrical wires, extensive fire damage, water entry by storm damage or flood
  • the premises are unlockable because of impact (for example, damage caused by a vehicle)
  • property may be at risk of damage, for example—from storm or flood, which may be classified as a natural disaster (contact Emergency Services on 132 500).
In an emergency, contact your nearest Housing Service Centre or call the after-hours number 1800 808 107 from 6pm to 6am Monday to Friday and on weekends and public holidays.

The time it takes us to respond to an emergency will depend on the situation, but will normally be within 1–4 hours. An emergency is the only time maintenance staff can enter your home without getting your prior permission.

Work that is not an emergency should be reported to maintenance during normal business hours by contacting your nearest Housing Service Centre or by completing our online maintenance form.

What are my responsibilities?

You are to maintain your home in good condition. As your landlord, we provide:

  • a maintenance service during office hours
  • an emergency after-hours service

We ask you to take care of your home by following these tips:

  • tell us of any damage as soon as it happens
  • tell us if you are having problems with things like the roof, gutter leaks, unsafe stairs, dripping taps, etc
  • keep the garden tidy and mow the grass regularly
  • remove and dispose of all rubbish
  • keep ceilings, walls, floors, fixtures and fittings clean
  • don’t use toilet blue in cisterns and bowls, especially in septic systems
  • do not flush bulky items, fat or oil down toilets
  • don’t plant trees near sewerage and drainage pipes or within 3 metres of the house—this may cause structural problems to foundations, roof and guttering
  • don’t put garden beds against house walls as this can cause structural problems and encourage termites (white ants)
  • check for and report any termite activity as soon as you see them
  • do not attempt to carry out serious repair work such as electrical, plumbing or structural work on the property—call us
  • check the hot water unit for leaks (it’s normal for overflow pipes to drip from time to time, particularly in cooler weather)
  • report gas, water leaks and electrical faults immediately
  • do not install improvements/renovate your home without our approval
  • test the smoke alarms every month (there are instructions in your home to tell you how to do this).

Who pays for maintenance work?

We will pay for any maintenance caused by fair wear and tear. Fair wear and tear is the amount of wear you would expect to occur over time with reasonable use of the property.

You are responsible for the cost of repairs if you, your visitors or pets cause damage

We will inspect your home before you move in, then every 12 months, and again when you move out.

When you move out, you will be charged for any damage that is not fair wear and tear, or if the home is not left clean and tidy. Photographs will be taken of all damage, rubbish and unclean areas.

When is maintenance carried out on my home?

We respond to requests in order of urgency from the time you report the problem. The following are examples of typical maintenance response times.

1-hour response

Any fault which could lead to death or injury or serious damage to the property such as:

  • gas leaks
  • fire
  • exposed live electrical wires in an accessible location
  • seniors or incapacitated tenants being locked out of their home at night
  • burst pipes within the building.

4-hour response

Any fault which could endanger health or result in extensive damage to the property such as:

  • no lights or power
  • serious storm damage
  • serious water penetration
  • burst water pipes outside the building
  • fully blocked sewerage
  • full stove not working
  • seniors or incapacitated tenants being locked out of their home during the day
  • smoke alarm not working
  • building being unsecure after forced entry (break-in)
  • major structural damage endangering the occupants.

24-hour response

Faults which cause serious inconvenience to the client such as:

  • blocked drains (minor)
  • toilet cistern not working or overflowing
  • broken locks (external doors)
  • fence damage greater than 125mm wide
  • broken windows
  • no hot water
  • no power to multiple power points
  • no power to multiple lights
  • security lights not working.

14-day response

Faults which cause inconvenience or could affect the value of the property in the long term, such as:

  • dripping taps
  • element not working on stove
  • water hammer (noisy pipes when you turn taps on)
  • doors jamming
  • uneven hard paving
  • trees which need lopping
  • leaking gutters or downpipes
  • individual power point or light not working
  • faulty internal door locks.

Planned maintenance

Planned maintenance includes things like repainting, replacing leaky gutters or rusted downpipes. You can report these items to us or we will pick them up during your next inspection. These items are scheduled for maintenance as part of a planned program.

What types of maintenance won't be done?

We don’t carry out maintenance on:

  • changing light bulbs in your home (but if a light bulb needs changing in a common area of your building complex, such as a stairwell or car-park, contact maintenance)
  • mowing lawns
  • maintaining items which you have installed such as light fittings, dishwashers and floor coverings
  • non-standard items that were supplied with your home, for example, blinds, curtains and some floor coverings.

When will my home be painted?

Painting is carried out according to a planned program, based on when homes are expected to need this maintenance.

Can I choose the colours used to repaint my property?

Yes you can. Talk with the inspecting officer when they visit your property about the colours you like.

How can I get the inside of my property repainted?

There are 2 things you can do if you think your home needs repainting:

  • contact maintenance and they will advise you if the repainting will be done and when this may happen
  • contact us to request approval to repaint the inside of the home at your cost. We will tell you about approved paints, colours and conditions.

What is general upgrade work?

General upgrade work happens when areas of your home (such as the kitchen, bathroom or laundry) aren’t in good condition or could be dangerous.

We will let you know in writing or by phone that work is planned, the approximate date the work will start and any other information you need to know.

If my bathroom, kitchen or laundry need upgrading what should I do?

If you think your bathroom, kitchen or laundry need upgrading, contact maintenance who will arrange an inspection. They will tell you whether anything needs to be upgraded and when this will happen.

How will maintenance staff gain access to my property?

We will always try and contact you before any maintenance work is carried out on your property.

Maintenance staff can only enter your property without your permission if there is an emergency, such as a fire, serious water or gas leak or storm/flood damage.

We will repair any damage to your property at no cost to you (for example—broken doors or windows) when maintenance staff accessed your home in an emergency situation.

For routine maintenance visits, staff will not enter your home unless an adult is there. If you are unable to be at home you must arrange for another adult to be home at this time. The work will be delayed if an adult is not home at the agreed time. Maintenance staff will leave a card with details about who to contact to arrange another visit.

Do not leave keys outside the property (for example, under mats or pot plants) for maintenance staff due to safety and security reasons.

All dogs must be secured when staff visit your property.

Maintenance staff on your property

Maintenance staff are responsible for carrying out their work in a safe, tidy and efficient manner. They may need to use your electricity and there might be some noise from machinery and tools.

Children and pets should be kept away from the maintenance work. Any personal items or belongings should be removed so they are not damaged.

Helpful information