Housing for people with disability

If you have a disability and need housing assistance, contact your local Housing Service Centre to discuss your housing needs.

We will talk with you about your circumstances to find the housing option that will work best for you. This might be:

  • renting in the private market
  • public housing and community housing
  • Specialist Disability Accommodation

Read more about Specialist Disability Accommodation.

Help with renting in the private market

We can help you access and sustain suitable housing in the private rental market.

Learn more about our private housing rent assistance products.

Public and community housing tenants

If you have a physical, intellectual, sensory or psycho-social disability that affects your housing need, we can help you by:

  • working with you to understand your needs
  • modifying public and community housing on a case-by-case basis
  • providing extra bedrooms for a live-in carer, or storing disability or medical equipment
  • conducting occupational therapist assessments to help determine suitable housing
  • considering other housing needs, such as health and safety, independence and quality of life.

Home modifications

Home modifications may be available if you live in, or are moving in to, public and community housing and:

  • have a disability
  • need help to care for a household member with a disability
  • are having difficulty with normal household activities, such as using your bath or reaching high cupboards.

The types of home modifications available include:

  • changes to bathrooms, toilets and kitchens
  • installation of ramps, grab rails and hand rails
  • other modifications to suit your needs based on an occupational therapist assessment.

An occupational therapist can visit you at home and assess your health, safety and independence needs. You will be contacted to talk about their recommendations.

Your housing options under NDIS

Under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), people are supported to live in the community and can choose where they want to live and who they want to live with.

The NDIS provides support to eligible people with intellectual, physical, sensory, cognitive and psychosocial disability and is designed to help people get the support they need so their skills and independence improve over time.

Talk to the NDIS local area coordinator in your area to discuss access to disability support under the NDIS or you can talk to your nearest Housing Service Centre or call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).

Pets, guide dogs, hearing dogs and assistance animals

If you have a pet, or assistance animal to assist you with a disability or medical condition, talk to us about your needs.

Read more about pets in public housing.

More information