Help for young people transitioning to independence

We support children and young people in the child protection system who are transitioning to independent living.

What does this mean for me?

Young people who are in contact with, who have left or will be leaving the care of the Department of Child Safety, Seniors and Disability Services (DCSSDS) may be eligible for public housing and community housing. We will work with you to find the right housing products and services to meet your needs which may include support to find housing in the private market.

If you are still in care, a Joint Action Plan will be developed in partnership with you, DCSSDS and staff from your nearest Housing Service Centre.

The Joint Action Plan will determine:

  • the types of housing assistance and support you need and want
  • when you will need housing assistance
  • how urgent your housing need is.

If you have left care, you won’t need a Joint Action Plan. To help us understand your circumstances and needs, you may need to give us information from a support agency or from DCSSDS.

Talk to Housing Service Centre staff about your needs and the information you may need to provide. If public and community housing is considered the right housing option to meet your needs, you can apply for housing.

We can also can help you apply for other types housing assistance such as bond loans, or help you find a rental property in the private rental market through our RentConnect service.

Housing help available

Once you turn 18 and have left care, Next Step Plus can help you with your transition to independence.

Each Housing Service Centre has staff who can work with you and your support agency to explore your housing options.

Urgent housing help

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness and urgently need housing assistance you can call the 24 hour 7 days a week Homeless Hotline on 1800 474 753. DVConnect on 1800 811 811 or Men's line on 1800 600 636.

You can also go on-line to Ask Izzy to search for nearby shelters, housing, food, health care and homeless information.

More information

For more information about transitioning to independence, you can: