Housing for people leaving a correctional centre

Applying for housing assistance

You can apply for housing assistance while you are incarcerated. Queensland Corrective Services (QCS) and Re-entry Services staff can help you to apply for housing assistance.

They can help you to:

To be eligible for public housing and community housing, you must meet the eligibility criteria and provide evidence of 1 of the following occurring within 12 months of the date you apply for housing assistance:

  • If your sentence is longer than 3 years, you will have a parole hearing to decide a definite release date (also called a parole date). You need to provide evidence showing us you are eligible to apply for parole or a parole hearing date.
  • If your sentence is less than 3 years and you are on court ordered parole, you will have a definite release date. You will need to provide evidence showing us your actual release date.
  • If you are being held on remand, you will have a court hearing date. You will need to provide evidence showing us your court hearing date.

We will contact you if we need more information and write to you about the decision on your eligibility for social housing.

After leaving a correctional centre

After your release from a correctional centre, contact your nearest Housing Service Centre as soon as possible to discuss your circumstances and give them your contact details. We will work with you to identify housing products and services  that will help meet your housing needs.

Helpful resources