Housing help after a disaster
Emergency housing assistance
If you need urgent housing assistance as a result a natural disaster, call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
Assistance is available to anyone, whether you're a home owner or renter.
If your home has been damaged and you need somewhere to stay, complete the emergency housing assistance request form.
If you have had to leave your home as a result of a natural disaster, we can help. This help may be required immediately, or some weeks or even months later.
- Help finding temporary accommodation—Call 13 QGOV, visit a Housing Service Centre, or complete our emergency housing request form for assistance.
- Mortgage relief loan—An interest-free loan of up to $20,000 to help you meet your home loan repayments whilst dealing with an unexpected change in circumstances, such as the costs associated with storm damage.
- Home assist secure—If you are over 60 years of age, subsidised assistance may be available for minor repairs, maintenance and modifications related to health, safety and security.
- Bond loans—If you need to move into private rental accommodation and need help paying the rental bond, you may be eligible for a Bond Loan—an interest-free loan to a maximum value of 4 weeks’ rent for the accommodation.
- Rental Grants—A rental grant can help you meet the costs of moving into private rental accommodation if you are experiencing a crisis. A rental grant is equivalent to two weeks rent and is paid directly to the lessor/landlord. It does not need to be repaid.
- RentConnect—Our RentConnect Officers can help you prepare an application and apply for private rental properties. They can also help you find suitable properties, make referrals or provide other information to help you sustain a tenancy in the private market.
- Social Housing—Social housing is affordable rental housing for families and individuals with a high level of housing need that can’t be met by housing in the private market.
If you wish to apply for housing assistance, contact your nearest Housing Service Centre. Demand for social housing is always very high, especially when a disaster has been declared and we may not be able to provide housing immediately.
Recovery after a disaster
If you were affected by a disaster, there's information available to help you recover.
- Returning to affected buildings
- Electricity and water utilities
- Pools and water tanks
- Floodwater contamination
- Solar PV system safety.
View more information about the following services: