Stock routes

Stock route travel permits

You must apply to the relevant local government for an appropriate permit to move or graze stock on the stock route network.

When you’ll need a travel permit

You must apply for a stock route travel permit to move stock on foot on:

  • stock routes
  • reserves for travelling stock
  • roads and other land under local government control
  • unallocated state land adjoining any of these listed land types.


You do not need a permit when moving stock between properties if all the following apply:

  • the properties are owned by the same landowner and worked as a single enterprise
  • travel occurs during a single day in daylight hours
  • travel is for animal husbandry or property management purposes only.

You also do not need a stock route network travel permit to transport stock by truck or rail, but other legal requirements when transporting animals may apply.

Before you apply

Before moving stock, ensure that you:

  • Understand the regulations for transporting stock.
  • Contact all the relevant local governments and consider inspecting the proposed route to determine its condition and suitability for travel.
  • Apply for a grazing (agistment) permit if stock require spelling.
  • Apply for a waybill, unless an exception under the Stock Act 1915 applies.

Who can apply

Any stock owner or their authorised agent can apply for a travel permit.

You do not need to live in the local government area where the application is submitted. The stock owner is the holder of the permit.


The fee is calculated by the local government when the application is approved and must be paid before the permit is issued. Fees set by legislation are:

  • large stock: fee 6133 per km per 20 head or part of 20 head
  • small stock: fee 6134 per km per 100 head or part of 100 head.


  • Large stock means alpacas, asses, camels, cattle, donkeys, horses, llamas, mules or vicunas.
  • Small stock means goats and sheep.


Fees are not charged for:

  • infant stock that is less than 6 months old, unweaned and travelling with their mother
  • stock travelling to a gymkhana or rodeo
  • horses used for droving stock under a stock route permit.


In the case of infant stock, the application must demonstrate that any infants are travelling with, and reliant on, their mother. Young stock that are grazing and not reliant on their mother for feed and nutrients will not meet this criterion.

All stock must be fit and able to travel at the minimum permitted rate.

How to apply

Note: Applications can generally be lodged in person or by post, fax or email (check with the local council).

Stock welfare

If for health reasons stock require spelling, the permit holder will need to apply for a 7-day grazing (agistment) permit.

Alternative arrangements should be made for agistment or spelling in case a grazing (agistment) permit cannot be issued.

Application assessment

The local government will assess the application by considering:

  • pasture levels on the route
  • availability and suitability of water
  • likelihood the stock’s travel will spread a declared pest or notifiable disease
  • whether the minimum travel rate of 10km per day can be met by the stock
    if a lesser rate is permitted, whether the lesser rate can be sustained for the entire journey
  • impacts on road traffic infrastructure and road safety.

Once the application has been assessed, you will receive a written notice of the decision.

Related links

Read about review of local government decisions.

In this guide:

  1. About the Queensland stock route network
  2. Stock route management
  3. Stock route travel permits
  4. Grazing (agistment) permits for travelling stock
  5. Review of local government decisions
  6. Stock route water facility agreements
  7. Stock Route Management System (SRMS)

Print entire guide