Stock routes

Grazing (agistment) permits for travelling stock

You must apply to the relevant local government for an appropriate permit to move or graze stock on the stock route network.

When you’ll need a grazing (agistment) permit

A stock route grazing (agistment) permit is required to agist stock on:

  • stock routes
  • reserves for travelling stock
  • roads and other land under local government control.

The purpose of the permit is to provide short-term relief while longer term strategies are put in place.

Grazing (agistment) permits issued for travelling stock are valid for a maximum of 7 days and cannot be renewed. Permits for other stock are issued for a maximum for 28 days and can be renewed once only.

Before you apply

Contact the relevant local government for the preferred agistment locations.

Who can apply

You are eligible for a grazing (agistment) permit if you:

  • are a landowner whose land is adversely affected by drought, fire or flood
  • hold a stock route travel permit and wish to temporarily cease travelling to brand, crutch, dip, drench, jet, shear
  • truck the stock under control, or spell the stock to comply with an obligation imposed by animal welfare legislation
  • are responding to a notice by local government inviting applications for agistment of stock.

You are not eligible to apply if you have held a grazing (agistment) permit for the land in the 3 months immediately before the date of application.

You do not need to reside in the local government area where the application is submitted.


When deciding the fee, local government considers the:

  • type of country and the stock to be agisted under the permit
  • quality of pasture available for agistment
  • accessibility of water at the agistment site
  • proposed use of travelling stock facilities (including water facilities)
  • comparable agistment rates in the area.

Once a permit has been issued, you must pay the local government the amount shown on the permit.

The fee range set by legislation is given below.

Type of stockMinimum fee per head per weekMaximum fee per head per week
Large stockfee 6127fee 6128
Small stockfee 6130fee 6131


  • Large stock means alpacas, asses, camels, cattle, donkeys, horses, llamas, mules or vicunas.
  • Small stock means goats and sheep.

How to apply

Note: Applications can generally be lodged in person or by post, fax or email (check with the local council).


  • If responding to a local government notice, you must lodge your application within 7 days.
  • If applying for agistment of travelling stock, apply at least 3 days before the proposed agistment period.
  • If applying for other reasons, allow at least 7 days for your application to be processed.

Application assessment

The local government will assess the application by considering:

  • the likely requirements of travelling stock for pasture and water
  • the local stock route network management plan
  • the likelihood that agistment will introduce or spread a declared pest or degrade the land
  • impacts on road safety.

Once the application has been assessed, you will receive a written notice of the decision.

Related links

Read about review of local government decisions.

In this guide:

  1. About the Queensland stock route network
  2. Stock route management
  3. Stock route travel permits
  4. Grazing (agistment) permits for travelling stock
  5. Review of local government decisions
  6. Stock route water facility agreements
  7. Stock Route Management System (SRMS)

Print entire guide