Alcohol ignition interlocks
Exemptions in the Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program
If you meet strict eligibility criteria, you can apply for an exemption from installing an interlock in a nominated vehicle.
An exemption will not be granted if you are unable to install the interlock for employment, educational or financial reasons.
Driving with an exemption
If granted an exemption, you must carry your approved exemption certificate with you at all times and produce it if asked to by a police officer. You can be fined if you drive without your approved exemption certificate.
Apply for an exemption
You can apply for an exemption up to 6 weeks before your drink driving disqualification period ends.
You may apply for an exemption from having an interlock installed for any of the following reasons:
- You live in a remote location.
- You live on an island.
- You have a medical condition that stops you from providing enough breath to operate an interlock.
- You or your family member will experience severe hardship if you are not granted an exemption.
How to apply for an exemption
Apply in person
Complete and lodge an interlock exemption application (F4862) at your nearest transport and motoring customer service centre. You will need to pay the application fee. If your application relates to a medical condition you will also need to lodge a medical certificate exemption form (F4864).
Apply by mail
You can post your completed interlock exemption application (F4862), medical certificate exemption form (F4864) (if applicable), and fee (cheque or money order payable to the Department of Transport and Main Roads) to:
Department of Transport and Main Roads
Interlock Processing Unit
GPO Box 1412
Brisbane QLD 4001
In this guide:
- Performance-based Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program
- Time-based Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program
- Getting an interlock
- Approved interlock providers
- Financial assistance for the Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program
- Exemptions in the Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program
- Previous ( https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/road-safety/drink-driving/interlocks/financial-assistance-for-an-interlock )