Personalised transport complaints

If you want to make a complaint in relation to personalised transport, make sure you're informed about the best way to resolve the issue.

We can only investigate complaints relating to transport legislation. Transport Inspectors and Compliance Officers have broad powers relating to intercepting and examining vehicles as well as ensuring compliance with personalised transport licensing and authorisation requirements.

For other types of personalised transport industry complaints, we recommend following this general dispute resolution process.

Step 1: Seek to resolve your complaint directly

In many cases, the simplest, and the fastest outcome may be achieved through directly contacting the party with your complaint. Because they are the party that triggered your complaint, they are often best placed to resolve it. This can avoid a drawn-out or costly process, particularly for less serious matters where both parties are happy with a quick and inexpensive resolution.

Step 2: Take the issue to the appropriate regulatory agency

If you are unable to resolve your issue with the other party directly, the next step is to take your complaint to the appropriate regulatory body, if the issue is regulated. Although occurring in the transport industry, many complaints belong to a broader class of issues that occur across many industries and fields. For example, industrial relations complaints are outside the scope of Transport and Main Roads but can be directed to a wider body such as the Fair Work Commission.

Step 3: Pursue further dispute resolution processes

In the case that your issue is not covered by regulation or that the appropriate agency has been unable to provide a suitable result, but you still feel that you have a legitimate grievance, you may wish to progress your issue through further dispute resolution processes. This may mean engaging in mediation processes, where suitable, or pursuing the matter through a legal tribunal or the courts.

If you are a passenger

We recommend that you contact the service provider (the taxi or booked hire company or booking service) first.

You can lodge your complaint with us by emailing or call 13 12 30 if it relates to:

  • a serious compliance issue, or
  • an issue covered by transport legislation that has not been satisfactorily resolved by contacting the service provider directly.

Your complaint may be covered by transport legislation if it relates to:

  • unauthorised driving
  • unsafe vehicles
  • taxi driver refusing to provide a service
  • security camera requirements
  • failure to provide a receipt or a fare estimate
  • failure to take an assistance animal
  • wheelchair accessible service provision
  • Taxi Subsidy Scheme.

Find out more information about issues regulated by Transport and Main Roads:

If your complaint relates to service issues like the condition of the vehicle, driver courtesy, the time you waited, or the route taken by the driver, then your first step should be to take the issue up with the booking entity you ordered your trip through.

If that isn't successful, you may choose to take the issue to the Office of Fair Trading, who can action your complaint. The Office of Fair Trading also provides a conciliation service for general consumer complaints.

To report dangerous driving by any personalised transport services, you can report the incident to the Queensland Police Service by:

If you have been discriminated against, contact the Australian or Queensland Human Rights Commission.

Alternatively, you may take the matter to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).

If you are an industry stakeholder, driver, operator, licence holder or booking entity

If appropriate, try to resolve your issue directly with the relevant party, such as the service provider. If the issue relates to transport legislation or regulations, email us directly at

Remuneration, working conditions or contract conditions complaints

These issues can vary greatly depending on your status as either an employee or an independent contractor.

For help deciding whether you are self-employed, you can consult the support and resources for personalised transport drivers, or contact Fair Work Australia.

Workplace health and safety complaints

Contact WorkSafe Queensland.

Australian consumer and competition law or unfair contract provisions for small businesses complaints

Contact the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

Tax or superannuation complaints between booking entities and drivers or other employees

Contact the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Discrimination complaints

Contact the Queensland or Australian Human Rights Commission.

Unresolved complaints

If your complaint is still unresolved, you may attempt to pursue the matter in the legal system.

You can lodge a dispute with Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT), engage a private solicitor or be assisted by a mediation service.

Mediation services include:

We are currently working to establish a personalised transport mediation service in collaboration with the Department of Justice and Attorney-General. More information on this service will be available shortly.