Apply for a business letting corporate real estate agent licence
Your company must have a corporate licence to rent and manage shops in a shopping centre. You will need to apply to us.
A corporate real estate agent (business letting) licence allows you to:
- rent or lease out shops in shopping centres
- collect rent
- negotiate business letting (including interests in business).
Your personnel must have individual licences too if they are:
- directors of the company and carry out the work of a real estate agent themselves
- officer in charge of the principal place of business.
A director does not need a licence if they don’t act as a real estate agent.
- You may trade under your corporation name or registered business name.
- If you use your registered business name, you must register the company as the owner of the business name.
- If you are partners with another company, the other company must also have a current licence.
To be eligible for this licence, your company must have an individual licensee in charge of the principal place of business.
You are not a suitable company if you:
- are currently disqualified from holding a licence
- have been convicted within the past 5 years of a serious offence.
- have an unsuitable director or executive officer.
A serious offence is anything punishable by 3 or more years in prison, including:
- violent offences (including threats to use violence)
- fraud and dishonesty
- drug trafficking
- unlawful stalking
- an offence of a sexual nature.
Directors and executive officers
You are not suitable for a licence if any director or executive officer:
- is an insolvent under administration
- is currently disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate
- have been convicted of a serious offence within the past 5 years.
We also consider if they:
- have a criminal history
- have been an executive officer of a corporation, which was previously licensed, that has gone insolvent
- were the subject of a successful claim fund action
- have been cancelled or suspended from holding a licence or registration certificate
- have been previously disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate
- are disqualified from being a company director
- have previously been an insolvent under administration
- are unsuitable because of their character or the character of their business associates
Receivership or liquidation
You must tell us if an executive officer has previously been an executive officer of a corporation that:
- was previously licensed
- has gone into receivership or liquidation.
You must also tell us:
- what circumstances caused it to happen
- whether the executive officer took all reasonable steps to avoid these circumstances
- what assets they had available to distribute
- how much money (if any) they paid in dividends
- if they broke any laws relating to these circumstances
- whether they are disqualified from being a company director or other officer.
You must also include a report from the receiver or liquidator that gives us:
- a detailed list of the executive officer’s creditors
- the amount of money they still owe to each creditor.
When you lodge the form, you must attach formal identification for:
- your executive officers
- all business partners or associates.
Your identification must be a certified copy of any of the following documents:
- Birth certificate or extract
- Driver's licence
- Citizenship certificate
You will need to pay certain fees when you lodge your application. These include:
- the licence fee of $811.20 for 1 year or $1,462.90 for 3 years
- a criminal history check fee of $39.20.
Places of business
You may have multiple places of business, but you must register all of your business addresses when you apply for your licence.
The person in charge at the principal place of business must have a current individual licence. You must also appoint a licensee or registered salesperson in charge at each other place of business.
However, a registered salesperson cannot be person in charge if their registration is subject to conditions.
Criminal history check
To confirm your suitability, we will submit your application for a criminal history check. This will be thorough and may be time consuming.
The criminal history check will apply to each individual named in your application.
The processing time is 4–6 weeks. This can take longer if your application is not complete. This might be because of:
- missing information
- unpaid fees.
We will contact you if you submitted an incomplete application. You will need to complete the application before we can proceed. Otherwise, we may withdraw your application.
Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if:
- you withdraw your application
- we refuse your application.
You may also get a refund on the fee for your criminal history check if it hasn’t been started yet.
You don’t need any training for this licence.