Apply for an affordable housing real estate agent licence

You must have a current licence to work as an affordable housing agent. This is a limited form of real estate licence. You will need to apply to us.

Application for an individual's licence (PDF, 393KB)

Authorised activities

A real estate agent (affordable housing) licence allows you to:

  • let out houses, units or other places of residence
  • collect rent
  • negotiate letting
  • operate a trust account.

However, you may only do these activities under an affordable housing scheme.


To be eligible for a real estate agent (affordable housing) licence, you must:

  • be 18 years or over
  • pass the required training courses
  • be a relevant officer of an approved non-profit corporation.

A relevant officer can either be:

  • a director of the corporation
  • the person in charge of a place of business.


You are not suitable to hold a real estate agent (affordable housing) licence if you:

  • are an insolvent under administration
  • are currently disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate.
  • have been convicted of a serious offence within the past 5 years.

We also consider if you:

  • have a criminal history
  • have been an executive officer of a corporation that has gone insolvent
  • were the cause of a successful claim fund action
  • have been previously disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate
  • are disqualified from being a company director
  • have previously been an insolvent under administration
  • are incapable of satisfactorily doing the job of a licensee
  • are unsuitable because of your character or the character of your business associates
  • are allowed to work in Australia.

Serious offences

A serious offence is anything punishable by 3 or more years in prison, including:

  • violent offences (including threats to use violence)
  • fraud and dishonesty
  • drug trafficking
  • extortion
  • arson
  • unlawful stalking
  • an offence of a sexual nature.

Receivership or liquidation

You must tell us if you have ever been an executive officer of a corporation that:

  • was previously licensed
  • has gone into receivership or liquidation.

You must also tell us:

  • what circumstances caused it to happen
  • whether you took all reasonable steps to avoid these circumstances
  • what assets you had available to distribute
  • how much money (if any) you paid in dividends
  • whether you broke any laws relating to these circumstances
  • whether you are disqualified from being a company director or other officer.

You must also include a report from the receiver or liquidator that gives us:

  • a detailed list of your creditors
  • the amount of money you still owe to each creditor.


If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you need to:

  • give us a certified copy of your passport
  • have a visa that allows you to work in Australia.


When you lodge the form, you will need to attach formal identification. These documents must be original or certified copies.

Your identification must be a certified copy of any of the following documents:

  • Birth certificate or extract
  • Driver's licence
  • Passport
  • Citizenship certificate

You will need to pay certain fees when you lodge your application. These include:

  • the licence fee of $1,425.90 for 1 year or $2,672.90 for 3 years
  • a criminal history check fee of $39.20.

You will also need to attach your proof of qualifications.

Places of business

You may have multiple places of business, but you must register all of your business addresses when you apply for your licence. The person in charge at the principal place of business must have a current individual licence. You must also appoint a licensee or registered salesperson in charge at each other place of business.

However, a registered salesperson cannot be person in charge if:

  • the place of business operates as a resident letting agency
  • their registration is subject to conditions.

Find out more about places of business.

Criminal history check

To confirm your suitability, we will submit your application for a criminal history check. This will be thorough and may be time consuming.

Processing time

The processing time is 4–6 weeks. This can take longer if your application is not complete. This might be because of:

  • missing information
  • unpaid fees.

We will contact you if you submitted an incomplete application. You will need to complete the application before we can proceed. Otherwise, we may withdraw your application.


Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if:

  • you withdraw your application
  • we refuse your application.

You may also get a refund on the fee for your criminal history check if it hasn’t been started yet.


You must pass these training subjects from a recognised provider in order to apply for a licence. The only exception is if you’ve held an equivalent licence within the past 2 years.

You must have successfully completed or been assessed as competent in the required subjects. These subjects are taken from the following industry-recognised training package:

  • Property Services training package (CPP07)

As of 1 July 2016, units taken from the Property Development and Management Training Package (PRD01) no longer form part of the approved training for a real estate agent licence.

Find a training provider in Queensland.

Property Services training package

You will need to give us evidence that you have successfully completed the following units from this training package.

Course codes Name of course
CPPDSM3008A Maintain and protect condition of managed properties
CPPDSM4006A Establish and manage agency trust accounts
CPPDSM4016A Monitor and manage lease or tenancy agreement