Transfer to a Queensland motor industry licence

You must hold a Queensland licence or registration. However, you can apply to transfer a licence or registration from:

  • another Australian state
  • New Zealand.

This is known as mutual recognition.

Tasmania does not have an equivalent motor dealer licence. If you had a motor dealing business in Tasmania, you will need to apply for a new Queensland licence.

We have separate forms for licences and registrations.

Application for mutual recognition of occupational licence (PDF, 461KB)

Application for mutual recognition of certificate of registration/occupational licence (PDF, 452KB)

Make sure you fill out the correct form.


When you lodge the form, you will need to attach a copy of your valid non-Queensland licence.

You may continue to work while we process your application. However, you must:

  • follow any restrictions set out on your non-Queensland licence
  • stop working if the licence expires
  • show it to an inspector if they ask to see it.


We will also require a certified copy of any of the following 4 documents:

  • Birth certificate or extract
  • Driver's licence
  • Passport
  • Citizenship certificate

If you have changed your name, we will need evidence of the change. You must provide us with the official document that registered the change. This will need to be an original or certified copy.


You will need to pay the following fees when you lodge your application.

Class of licence Fee for 1 year Fee for 3 years
Full licence $1,508.60 $2,828.60
Registered salesperson $354.00 $601.50

You will also need to pay the criminal history check fee of $39.55.

Criminal history check

You must have a criminal history check to confirm your suitability. This will be thorough and time consuming.

Processing time

The processing time is 4–6 weeks. This can take longer if your application is not complete. This might be because of:

  • missing information
  • unpaid fees.

We will contact you if you submitted an incomplete application. You will need to complete it before we can proceed. Otherwise, we may cancel your application.


Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if:

  • you withdraw your application
  • we refuse your application.

You may also get a refund on the fees for your criminal history check that has yet to take place.

Corporate licences

You cannot get mutual recognition for a corporate motor licence. You must apply for a new licence.

We issue the following types of corporate licences: