Apply for a motor dealer licence

You must have a current licence to work as a motor dealer. To get a licence, you will need to apply to us.

Application for an individual's licence (PDF, 393KB)

Authorised activities

If you trade in used motor vehicles at all as part of a business operation, you must:

  • have a motor dealer licence
  • work for a licensed motor dealer as a registered salesperson.

A motor vehicle includes a:

  • vehicle that moves on wheels and is propelled by a motor that forms part of the vehicle
  • caravan (a trailer used for dwelling, or camping, or as a business premises).

A motor vehicle does not include a:

  • trailer (unless it is a caravan)
  • motorised scooter, golf buggy or wheelchair
  • tractor or farm machinery.

You must have a licence to:

  • work as an independent operator, including as a contractor
  • be in charge of a place of business
  • do any motor dealing work while serving as a director of a motor dealer corporation.

The motor dealer licence allows you to:

  • sell a used vehicle (including its parts)
  • obtain a used vehicle (including vehicle parts) to sell, either as a complete unit or in parts
  • sell a used vehicle on behalf of another person (on consignment)
  • sell a leased vehicle to the lessee under the terms of the lease
  • negotiate on a person’s behalf for that person to buy or sell a used motor vehicle.

A used motor vehicle generally means a:

  • motor vehicle that has been licensed or registered at any time
  • new motor vehicle registered for demonstration or sales promotion
  • used imported vehicle.

You may not act as a motor dealer until you get your licence. It is an offence to operate as a motor dealer while unlicensed.

The only exception to this rule is if:

  • you are offering a vehicle for sale as a private individual (not as a business operator or employee)
  • the sale is not a part of a business operation (for instance, selling for the purpose of earning profit).

You may not auction any vehicles or other goods without a chattel auctioneer licence.


To be eligible for a motor dealer licence, you must:

  • be 18 or older
  • pass the required training courses.


You are not suitable to hold a motor dealer licence if you:

  • are an insolvent under administration
  • are currently disqualified from holding a licence or registration
  • have been convicted of a serious offence in the past 5 years
  • are subject to a court issued control order because of involvement in serious criminal activity.

We also consider if you:

  • have a criminal history
  • have been an executive officer of a corporation (which was previously licensed) that has gone insolvent
  • were the subject of a successful claim fund action
  • have had your licence or registration certification cancelled or been suspended from holding one
  • have been previously disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate
  • are disqualified from being a company director
  • have previously been an insolvent under administration
  • are incapable of satisfactorily doing the job of a licensee
  • are unsuitable because of your character or the character of your business associates
  • are allowed to work in Australia.

Serious offences

You are considered unsuitable if you have been found guilty of a serious offence in the past 5 years. A serious offence is anything punishable by 3 or more years in prison.

These include:

  • violent offences (including threats to use violence)
  • fraud and dishonesty
  • drug trafficking
  • extortion
  • arson
  • unlawful stalking
  • offences of a sexual nature
  • new offences under Queensland’s Criminal Code of
    • recruiting a person to become participant in criminal organisation
    • consorting
  • an offence committed with a serious organised crime circumstance of aggravation applicable to a prescribed list of offences within the meaning of the Penalties and Sentences Act 1992.

Receivership or liquidation

You must tell us if you have ever been an executive officer of a corporation that:

  • was previously licensed
  • has gone into receivership or liquidation.

You must also tell us:

  • what circumstances caused it to happen
  • whether you took all reasonable steps to avoid these circumstances
  • what assets you had available to distribute
  • how much money (if any) you paid in dividends
  • whether you broke any laws relating to these circumstances
  • whether you are disqualified from being a company director or other officer.

You must also include a report from the receiver or liquidator that gives us:

  • a detailed list of your creditors
  • the amount of money you still owe to each creditor.


If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you need to:

  • give us a certified copy of your passport
  • have a visa that allows you to work in Australia.


When you lodge the form, you will need to attach formal identification. These documents must be original (if you lodge the form in person) or certified copies.

Your identification must be a certified copy of any of the following documents:

  • Birth certificate or extract
  • Driver licence
  • Passport
  • Citizenship certificate

You will need to pay certain fees when you lodge your application. These include:

  • the licence fee of $1,483.70 for 1 year or $2,781.70 for 3 years
  • a criminal history check fee of $39.45.

You will also need to attach proof of qualifications.

Places of business

You may have multiple places of business. You must register all of your business addresses when you apply for a licence. You must have a licensed person in charge at each place of business.

An individual cannot be in charge of more than 1 place at any given time unless the places of business are on adjacent blocks of land (not separated by a public road).

Find out more about places of business.

Criminal history check

To confirm your suitability, we will submit your application for a criminal history check. This will be thorough and may be time consuming.

If you were born in New Zealand or have a New Zealand passport, you need to get a copy of your criminal history or a letter indicating you have no criminal history from New Zealand. For more information, visit the New Zealand Ministry of Justice website.

You don’t have to pay any fees to get a New Zealand criminal history check. We can only accept original documents dated within one month of the date you send them to us. Please note it takes 20 working days to process a request for a New Zealand criminal history check.

Processing time

The processing time is 4–6 weeks. This can take longer if your application is not complete. This might be because of:

  • missing information
  • unpaid fees.

We will contact you if you submitted an incomplete application. You will need to complete the application before we can proceed. Otherwise, we may withdraw your application.


Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if:

  • you withdraw your application
  • we refuse your application.

You may also get a refund on the fee for your criminal history check if it hasn’t been started yet.


You must pass these training subjects from a recognised provider to apply for a licence. The only exception is if you’ve held an equivalent licence within the past 2 years.

You must do the training in modules from either:

  • Automotive Retail, Service and Repair Training Package—AUR modules (current modules)
  • Automotive Industry Retail, Service and Repair Training Package—AUR12 modules (superseded modules)

Anything earlier than this is obsolete (e.g. AUR99 or AUR05 modules). We will not recognise these packages as recent enough training to qualify for this licence.

Find a training provider in Queensland.

AUR modules

If you do this training course, you will need to pass the following modules.

Course code Name of course
AURSCA007 Determine used motor vehicle stock requirements
AURSCA003 Apply sales procedures in an automotive workplace
AURSCA005 Sell automotive products and services
AURSLA001 Comply with legal requirements when selling automotive products and services
AURSCA010 Appraise and purchase used motor vehicles for sale 
Manage complex customer issues in an automotive workplace
Build customer relations in an automotive workplace
AURASA002 Follow safe working practices in an automotive workplace
Communicate effectively in an automotive workplace
Contribute to quality work outcomes in an automotive workplace
AURACA001 Respond to customer needs and enquires in an automotive workplace

AUR12 modules

If you do this training course, you will need to pass the following modules.

Course code Name of course
AURSCA3007 Determine used motor vehicle stock requirements
AURSCA2003 Apply sales procedures
AURSCA2005 Sell products
AURSLA2001 Apply legal requirements relating to product sale
AURSCA3010 Appraise and purchase used motor vehicles to supplement stock for sale
AURAMA4005 Manage complex customer issues
AURASA2002 Apply safe working practices in an automotive workplace
AURAFA2003 Communicate effectively in an automotive workplace
AURACA2001 Establish relations with customers