Compliance and enforcement under the blue card system
Organisations and businesses regulated by the blue card system need to understand and comply with their obligations under the Working with Children (Risk Management and Screening) Act 2000. These obligations are in place to ensure safe environments and reduce the risks for Queensland’s children.
Organisations and people who run businesses regulated by the blue card system must have a child and youth risk management strategy.
Blue Card Services helps organisations and businesses understand their obligations and why they exist by:
- helping organisations create safe and supportive environments for children
- ensuring high-risk individuals—including suspended/cancelled cardholders, negative notice holders and disqualified people)—are not working with children in Queensland
- undertaking targeted compliance initiatives when organisations do not fulfil their obligations
- maintaining a strong relationship with the Queensland Police Service so we can take immediate action where necessary to ensure children are kept safe in Queensland.
Read our 2023–24 Compliance and enforcement policy and priorities report card which outlines our key priorities and the processes involved in enforcing the blue card system.
- Browse our blue card system statistics that show the strength of safeguards the blue card system provides to children.
- Find out more about blue card obligations for organisations.