Appointing an auditor or verifier

You must get your records audited or verified for each financial year.

Who can audit or verify

Registered auditor

An auditor can audit or verify your records if they hold a valid registration as a registered company auditor under the Corporations Act with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).

Search the register

Certified accountant

A certified accountant can audit or verify your records. They must be certified members of one of the following organisations:

  • CPA Australia (they will use the letters CPA or FCPA after their name)
  • the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (using the letters CA or FCA)
  • the Institute of Public Accountants (using the letters MIPA or FIPA).

Another approved person

You can ask us to approve someone who isn’t a registered auditor or certified accountant. You will need to fill out an approval form.

Download the approval form

To apply, you must be a:

  • level 2 association (your current assets and revenue are each under $100,000)
  • level 3 association (your current assets and revenue are each under $20,000).

Find out more about levels of association

We will only approve them if we’re satisfied with their:

  • experience
  • qualifications
  • level of insurance cover.

If we approve the person, they can verify your association’s financial statements.

Ineligible to audit or verify

Your auditor or verifier cannot be:

  • the secretary or a member of your management committee
  • an employee of your association
  • a business partner, employer or employee of a committee member
  • a spouse of or dependent on any of the above.

What you need to give them

Your auditor or verifier will need access to a wide range of your records for the financial year. Store your records safely so that you can easily provide them to the auditor or verifier.

Find out more about your records

Income and expenses

The auditor or verifier will need access to any documents that outline your income and expenses for the year. These include any receipts you issue, any payments you make, your bank account and petty cash records.

Receipt book documents might include:

  • register of receipt books
  • receipt books that contain duplicates of issued receipts
  • unused receipt books
  • duplicate bank deposit slips
  • cash receipts journal.

Cash payment documents might include:

  • vouchers for payments made in chronological order
  • cheque butts—used, unused and cancelled
  • cash payments journal.

Bank account documents might include:

  • your ledger account (if applicable)
  • bank statements for the entire year
  • statements for the months immediately before and after the financial year begins and ends
  • bank reconciliations for the financial year
  • the reconciliation from the previous financial year.

Petty cash documents might include:

  • the petty cash book
  • vouchers
  • an overall summary.

Assets and liabilities

Make sure you keep all documents that outline your assets and liabilities. These might cover your depreciable assets, receivable accounts and liabilities.

Your depreciable assets are items that you own, but will decrease in value over time. Depreciable asset documents might include:

  • a register of assets, including what you added or disposed of during the financial year
  • the paperwork for any assets you sold, gave away or threw out.

A receivable account is due to you from another party. Documents for a receivable account might include:

  • a list of all unpaid accounts due at the end of the financial year
  • an outline of how long each account has been outstanding
  • an expected due date for each payment.

Liability documents might include:

  • a list of money that you still owe at the end of the financial year (no matter how big or small)
  • the details of any loans, including
  • the interest rate
  • how much of the principal sum is left to repay
  • any repayments you made in the financial year.

Details of your association

You will need to provide your auditor or verifier with:

  • the minute books from every meeting
  • a copy of your association rules
  • the register of members
  • any other financial documentation they ask to access.