Overseas skills recognition

Overseas skills recognition is about having your overseas trade or professional skills and qualifications formally assessed and recognised in Australia.

This information is for people who:

  • are already living in Queensland
  • want their skills and qualifications recognised so they can apply for work.

Skills recognition for migration purposes

If you do not live in Queensland and want your skills recognised for migration purposes, contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Read more about:

Registered migration agents can help with your assessment process. Fees are charged for this service.

Learn more about working visas.

Skills recognition for migrants living in Queensland

If you are looking for work and finding that Australian employers do not accept your overseas qualifications, you can apply for skills recognition. You can do this as a 'principal' migrant or as a dependant (e.g. partner, son or daughter).

If your occupation requires registration or licensing, you will need to have your qualifications formally assessed.

Trade skills recognition

You may be able to have your trade qualifications recognised in Queensland. This organisation may be able to help you with this process:

  • VETASSESS – migrant skills recognition service.

Other trades

Apply for a recognition of prior learning (RPL) assessment if you have skills in other trade areas not covered by the TRS. Fees will apply.

An RPL assessment considers your previous:

  • work skills or knowledge
  • paid or unpaid work experience
  • life experience
  • community work experience.

Recognition of tertiary (non-trade) qualifications

To have your overseas qualifications recognised, you need to submit an application to the Overseas Qualification Unit, and provide certified copies of any relevant documents. Applications can take up to 4 weeks to process.

You can have your qualifications assessed according to Australian educational standards, if you:

  • are a Queensland resident with permission to work and/or study
  • have completed a formal technical or professional qualification overseas.

You will be provided with an assessment advice comparing your overseas qualifications with the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). There is no fee for this assessment and having your qualifications recognised could help you get a job, promotion or do further study.

Read more about overseas qualification recognition in Queensland.

More information

For more information about overseas qualification recognition, contact:

Overseas Qualifications Unit
PO Box 15483

Phone: 1300 369 935

Recognition of prior learning and credit transfers

If you are not eligible for recognition of overseas qualifications you may still be eligible for recognition of prior learning or credit transfers. This could reduce the amount of time you need to study to finish Australian qualifications.


Some occupations require people to be registered or licensed before they can work in Queensland.

Related links