Finding and applying for jobs
Finding a job
In Queensland, most jobs are advertised through the internet, local and national newspapers, and through recruitment agencies.
To find job vacancies you can:
- search online directories
- register with a recruitment agency – depending on the type of job you want, sometimes a recruitment agent can help you find work (search online for 'recruitment agencies' in your area)
- read your local papers – job advertisements are usually found towards the back of the paper
- use social networks – friends or family may have heard about jobs in your area, or you may find vacancies in some areas using social media tools.
Read more about how to find and apply for jobs in Queensland.
There are many industries that need skilled workers in Queensland.
Skilled migrants are welcomed to the state to help fill gaps in industries experiencing skills shortages.
The skills and professions needed in each region vary.
Find out about major industries and employment opportunities in regional areas.
Apply for jobs
Writing a CV, resume and cover letter
When you apply for a job you will usually need to provide a current CV, resume or cover letter.
These documents help an employer to find out how suitable you are for the job.
Some things that a resume should include are:
- education history
- work history
- experiences and skills
- personal interests
- contact details of referees who can verify your claims.
It's important that your resume is easy to read, structured correctly and only contains essential information relevant to the job you are applying for.
Read more about writing a resume.
The job interview
The job interview helps the employer get to know you and determine whether you are suitable for the job.
It's also an opportunity for you to get to know the employer and see if the company is right for you.
Your success in an interview will depend on how prepared you are. You can be better prepared by:
- finding out as much as you can about the employer
- having your documents ready – including resume, qualifications etc.
- planning what you are going to wear to the interview.
Find out other helpful tips for job interviews to give you the best chance for success.