Request a review of a decision
If you’re unhappy with a decision we’ve made about your eligibility for a housing service, the type of housing offered or the location of that house, you may be able to request a review of the decision (under Housing Act 2003, Part 6).
There is no charge to apply for review.
Decisions that may be reviewed
The following are reviewable decisions:
- Your eligibility for a social housing service, including where:
- your application for social housing is cancelled or considered ineligible
- your transfer application is cancelled or considered ineligible
- you’re no longer eligible to remain in public housing (e.g. ongoing eligibility)
- you’ve been issued with a ‘Notice To Leave – Ending of Housing Assistance’
- you’re no longer eligible to remain in a 'reviewable property' (e.g. disability accessible property)
- The type of social housing service offered to you, including:
- unit, townhouse, regular detached house, (e.g. ground floor, high-set and/or number of stairs)
- number of bedrooms
- style, amenity or configuration of social housing (e.g. accessibility)
- The location of the social housing service, such as:
- suburbs you are allocated or would prefer
- proximity to a support service
- external environment/needs.
Usually, you must lodge your application within 28 days of the decision being made.
We may accept an application for review outside these time frames on a case-by-case basis.
How to apply
To apply for a review of a reviewable decision:
- Complete an Application for review (PDF, 237KB).
- Explain the decision you’re seeking a review for and why you believe the decision was wrong, unreasonable or unfair.
- Attach copies of any documents that support your application.
- Submit the application either:
What happens next
- The Housing Appeals and Review Unit will (HARU) register your application and give it a review reference number.
- We notify you by mail that we’ve received your application (within 5 days of receiving it).
- A staff member from the area that made the original decision (but a different person) reconsiders the decision, and provides a recommendation and reasons for that recommendation.
- We consider your application based on:
- the information in your application
- the recommendation from the area that made the original decision
- departmental policies and procedures, and how they apply to your individual circumstances.
- We send you a formal letter telling you the outcome, usually within 28 days of receiving your application.
If you’re unhappy with the outcome
If you believe the outcome of your review was unreasonable, unfair or wrong, you can contact the Queensland Ombudsman.
- phone: 1300 364 560
- email: corporate.HARU@hpw.qld.gov.au.