Recreational wildlife licence

In Queensland, a recreational wildlife licence (RWL) is required if you want to keep certain protected birds, reptiles or amphibians at a residential property.

To find out which birds, reptiles or amphibians require a licence, how to apply for a licence, how to submit a movement advice or to learn about your licence responsibilities you can read this guide or use our species licence search.

A recreational wildlife licence does not allow you to use the animals for commercial purposes. Visit the Commercial Wildlife Permits and Regulations.

Recreational wildlife licence

In this guide:

  1. How to apply
  2. Your responsibilities
  3. Moving wildlife
  4. Species licence search
  5. Frequent questions

Print entire guide