Moving native and international wildlife

Much of Queensland's native wildlife is protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992.

The legislation provides for a licensing system to help protect native wildlife from over exploitation and to ensure wild populations of plants and animals are protected. The licensing system also helps to monitor wildlife trade and reduce the likelihood of animals escaping and threatening animal populations in the wild e.g. through the spread of disease.

Anyone who intends to take, use or keep native wildlife must be familiar with Queensland’s wildlife laws and regulations.

You may need special documentation to move wildlife within, into or out of the state. This may be required in addition to other licences or permits that allow keeping and using native wildlife.

There are three ‘levels’ of documentation under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 under which wildlife may be moved. These are:

  1. wildlife movement permit
  2. movement advice
  3. chief executive’s written approval.

Some situations do not require a movement permit to move protected animals, including when a person moves:

  • an exempt animal, unless it was lawfully taken from the wild in Queensland
  • a protected animal to or from a registered veterinary surgeon who treated/will treat and care for the animal
  • to another place of residence within Queensland and the animal is taken to the new place of residence
  • to another place of business within Queensland and the animal is taken to the new place of business
  • a sick, injured or orphaned protected animal for care or treatment to the place where it is intended to be cared for within Queensland, or to another person who holds a rehabilitation permit for the animal.

Permits and approvals

Email Permit and Licence Management at to discuss any proposal to move wildlife into, within or out of Queensland.

If you are importing or exporting wildlife into or out of Queensland, you should also contact the wildlife authority in the other state to ensure that you have the necessary documentation from that state to proceed with the movement.

Movement advices

There are two ways to complete a movement advice – online, or using a paper-based form.

  1. Online (via Online Services)
    The use of a movement advice online is available, providing that both the person who is selling or giving away the wildlife and the person who buys or accepts the wildlife have had licences issued through the online licensing system.

    Please note that Online Services will not grant a movement advice for a proposed wildlife movement that is later than two (2) business days from the date of your application.

    In order to access Online Services either log in to Online Services (if already registered) or register with Online Services first.

  2. By use of a paper-based form
    Each form contains instructions on its completion.

Forms and fees

To obtain a wildlife movement permit submit a completed application form. Contact Permit and Licence Management for assistance.

Movement advices must be obtained from the department and may be purchased in advance.