Moving native and exotic wildlife

Much of Queensland's native wildlife is protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992. This legislation provides for a licensing system to help protect native wildlife from over exploitation and to ensure wild populations of plants and animals are protected and minimise the likelihood of animals escaping and becoming established in the area and, consequently, threatening conservation values. The licensing system for moving wildlife also helps in monitoring trade in wildlife.

Anyone who intends to take, use or keep native wildlife should be familiar with Queensland’s wildlife laws and regulations.

You may need special documentation to move wildlife within, into or out of the state. This may be required in addition to other licences or permits that allow commercial or recreational uses.

There are three ‘levels’ of documentation under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 under which wildlife may be moved. These are:

  1. wildlife movement permit
  2. movement advice
  3. chief executive’s written approval.

Some situations do not require a movement permit to move protected animals, including when a person moves:

  • an exempt animal, unless it was lawfully taken from the wild in Queensland
  • a protected animal to or from a registered veterinary surgeon who treated/will treat and care for the animal
  • to another place of residence within Queensland and the animal is taken to the new place of residence
  • to another place of business within Queensland and the animal is taken to the new place of business
  • a sick, injured or orphaned protected animal for care or treatment to the place where it is intended to be cared for within Queensland, or to another person who holds a rehabilitation permit for the animal.

You can also read the legislation online by visiting the Office of Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website.

Permits and approvals

You should email Permit and Licence Management to discuss any proposal to move wildlife into, within or out of Queensland.

If you are either importing or exporting wildlife into or out of Queensland, you should also contact the wildlife authority in the other state to ensure that you have the necessary documentation from that state to proceed with the movement.

Movement advices

There are two ways to complete a movement advice – online, and by use of a paper-based form.

This Wildlife movement advice tutorial provides more information about your options.

  1. Online (via Connect)
    The use of a movement advice online is available, providing that both the person who is selling or giving away the wildlife and the person who buys or accepts the wildlife have had licences issued by the licensing system Connect (this means that both would be registered to use Connect).
    Please note that Connect will not grant a movement advice for a proposed wildlife movement that is later than 2 business days from the date of your application.

    In order to access Connect either log in to Connect (if already registered) or register with Connect first.

  2. By use of a paper-based form
    This is the long-established method to complete a movement advice. Each form contains instructions on its completion.

Forms and fees

To obtain a wildlife movement permit you will need to submit an application. Please download an application form; contact Permit and Licence Management for assistance.

Movement advices must be obtained from the department and may be purchased in advance.