Rural land applications and farming concessions

Rural land applications

If your property was valued using site value (non-rural land) and you believe it should have been valued using unimproved value (rural land), you can apply to have your land declared as rural land.

For the application to be successful, both of the following criteria must be met:

  • At least 95% of land in the state that is used for the same purpose is zoned rural.
  • The land’s zoning as non-rural makes a material difference to the valuation of the land. A material difference is when a minimum of 30% change in the valuation would have occurred had the land been rural and valued using the unimproved methodology.

How to apply

Complete the Rural land application form (Form 12) (PDF, 540KB) and submit it in person, by post or by email to one of our business centres.

What happens next?

You will be notified of our decision within 60 days.  Read our Rural land declarations policy (PDF, 214KB) for more information on what we consider when making our decision.

If your application is successful, a new valuation notice will be issued displaying a new unimproved valuation amount. If you do not agree with the valuation amount, you will have 60 days from the date of issue to lodge an objection.

If the application does not meet the criteria, the valuation will not be changed and the existing site valuation will remain in force. If you made your rural land application within 60 days of the issue of the relevant valuation (i.e. during the objection period), you will have a further 60 days to lodge an objection against your site valuation, should you choose to do so.

If you do not agree with the decision on your rural land application, you may apply for an internal review of the decision.

Farming concessions

Under the Land Valuation Act 2010, a landowner may be entitled to a concession if the land is exclusively used for the purposes of farming. If you are not already receiving a concessional valuation for farming and believe you are eligible, please complete the application form below.

How to apply

Complete the Application for concessional valuation—exclusive use for farming (PDF, 593KB). Lodge your application by post, in person or by email at one of our business centres.