Become an early childhood teacher

This information relates to teachers delivering specific learning programs, usually within long day care or kindergarten services.

Read about working in early childhood.

Courses and qualifications

All long day care and kindergarten services with children under school age must have access to a qualified early childhood teacher or have one in attendance at the service.

Visit the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) website if you are already studying or have finished your course and want to check it against the national requirements. A fee is charged to have your qualifications assessed if they do not appear on the lists of approved qualifications.

Course requirements

Studying education at university level (e.g. a Bachelor degree) is usually required if you want to become an early childhood teacher.

You should choose a course on the ACECQA list of approved early childhood teaching qualifications.

You can read about tertiary entrance.

Search for courses at your chosen university or with the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC). Once you have chosen your course, you must apply through QTAC for entry.

Already a registered primary teacher?

You may qualify to teach in a long day care or kindergarten service if you’re already a registered primary teacher and you hold or are studying towards an approved diploma level qualification.

Early Childhood Bridging Program - you can upgrade your skills to gain an approved early childhood teaching qualification. For more information visit the Early Childhood Teacher Bridging Program webpage.


Jobs are usually advertised in newspapers and online job sites.

Find childcare contacts for advice on job opportunities and industry news.


Registration is not compulsory for early childhood teachers working in early childhood services, other than in the case of primary teachers with approved diploma-level qualifications. However any teacher employed in a school (including Prep-Year 3 teachers) does need to be registered with the Queensland College of Teachers.

You must have a blue card to work with children in Queensland. This involves a police check. A fee is charged to apply.

Note: This blue card is not recognised anywhere else in Australia nor are Working With Children Checks issued interstate recognised in Queensland.