Reporting abuse

In an emergency, dial Triple Zero (000) for police, fire and ambulance.

Domestic and family violence

Domestic and family violence (DFV) is when one person in a relationship uses violence or abuse to control the other person and to make them fearful.

Phone Triple Zero (000) if DFV is happening now or a life is threatened.

If there is no immediate emergency, you can report DFV to the police by phoning Policelink on 13 14 44.

You can also make a non-urgent report of DFV by submitting an online form.

Phone DVConnect on 1800 811 811 if you are escaping DFV and need a place of safety.

Find information and support for DFV on the Domestic and Family Violence Portal.

Child abuse and neglect

Phone Triple Zero (000) if you believe a child is in immediate danger or in a life-threatening situation.

If you have reason to suspect a child is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect, contact:

  • a Regional Intake Service (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
  • the Child Safety After Hours Service Centre on 1800 177 135 outside business hours.

Find out more about child abuse and how to report it.

Child sexual abuse

If you have reason to suspect a child is experiencing, or is at risk of, sexual abuse, contact:

  • Child Safety Services on 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
  • Child Safety After Hours Service Centre on 1800 177 135 outside business hours
  • your local police station about criminal matters related to child sexual abuse
  • ChildWise National Child Abuse Prevention Helpline on 1800 991 099.

Find out more about child sexual abuse and how to report it.

Sexual violence

Sexual violence (including sexual abuse and assault) is any unwanted sexual behaviour towards another person. All sexual violence is unacceptable and many kinds of sexual violence are a crime in Queensland.

If you’ve just been sexually assaulted, or are in immediate danger, get to a safe place and phone Triple Zero (000).

Once you are out of immediate danger, you can contact the Sexual Assault Helpline on 1800 010 120 for counselling and referral.

If you do not want to make a formal report to the police, but you do want to tell them about your assault, you can use the Alternative Reporting Option (ARO). This will not result in an investigation, but the information may be used to help identify repeat offenders and prevent them from assaulting others in future.

Read more about reporting sexual violence to the police.

Elder abuse

Elder abuse is any act within a relationship of trust that harms an older person. It can be physical, sexual, financial or psychological abuse or neglect and includes DFV.

Call the Elder Abuse Helpline (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) for free and confidential advice for anyone experiencing elder abuse or who suspects someone they know may be experiencing elder abuse. Phone 1300 651 192 (Queensland only) or (07) 3867 2525 (rest of Australia).

Seniors experiencing DFV can also seek help from a local DFV support service.

Legal support is available for seniors experiencing elder abuse, as well as other support services.


Workplace bullying

Understand workplace harassment and how to prevent or resolve it.

School bullying

Being bullied at school is a common experience for young people. Find out what to do if you or someone you know is being bullied.


Cyberbullying is targeting someone using technology, via email, chat rooms, text messages, discussion groups, online social media, instant messaging or websites.

This may include being teased or made fun of online, having unpleasant comments, pictures or videos about you sent or posted on social media or websites, or having someone use your screen name or password and pretending to be you to hurt someone else.

Find out more about cyberbullying and how to report it, as well as how to report image-based abuse.