Reporting child abuse

Phone Triple Zero (000) if it’s an emergency or if you believe a child is in immediate danger or in a life-threatening situation.

Information to provide

When making a report about child safety concerns, you will be asked to provide information that can help officers decide how best to respond. It is still vital you call even if you don’t have all the information.

The information includes:

  • details about the child or young person (e.g. name, age, address)
  • details about the parents or other relevant persons
  • the reasons you suspect the child or young person may have experienced or is at risk of experiencing harm
  • whether or not the child, young person or family has support
  • the immediate risk to the child or young person
  • contact details for the family.

When you make the report, your details are kept confidential. You are able to make the report anonymously if you wish; however, it is preferable to provide these details so that the officer can call you if further information is needed.

Due to privacy and confidentiality rights of any child or parent brought to the attention of Child Safety, you will not be provided with the outcome for the report you make.


To make a formal report about child abuse

Child Safety is here to talk through any worries you have. Our Child Safety Officers are trained to help families with problems they may be having, and find the best ways to help them get back on track.

If you’re worried about the wellbeing of a child, call:

  • Regional Intake Service (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
  • or the Child Safety After Hours Service Centre on 1800 177 135 or 07 3235 9999 (24 hours a day) if outside business hours.

For advice or help

You can call any of these community services for advice or help:

Family and Child ConnectAnyone can contact Family and Child Connect for advice and information, including parents, grandparents, other family members and young people. Family and Child Connect is a free service provided by trusted, local organisations who are experienced in working with families. Call 13FAMILY or 13 32 64.

ParentlineParentline is a free, confidential telephone service providing counselling and referrals. Counsellors are available from 8am to 10pm, 7 days a week. To speak to a counsellor, call 1300 301 300.

Kids HelplineChildren, teenagers and young adults can call Kids Helpline to talk about anything — what’s going on at home, stuff with friends, something at school or feeling sad, angry or scared. Freecall 1800 55 1800 (24 hours, 7 days a week) or webchat.

Women’s InfolinkWomen’s Infolink provides confidential support, information and referrals to community organisations for Queensland women and girls. Phone 1800 177 577 (free-call statewide service) Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm or email.

MenslineMensline is a free, confidential phone, counselling, referral and support service for Queensland men. Freecall 1800 600 636 from 9am to midnight, 7 days a week.

1800RESPECT1800RESPECT is a national sexual assault and domestic violence counselling service by qualified, experienced professionals. Freecall 1800 737 732 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

National Relay ServiceIf you’re deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact the National Relay Service:

  • TTY: call 133 677

  • Speak and Listen: call 1300 555 727 then ask for 13 74 68

  • Internet relay: go to and then ask for 13 74 68.

Reporting child abuse occurring outside of Queensland

If you have reason to suspect a child outside Queensland is being harmed, or is at risk of harm, the following state and territory agencies can provide support and advice.

What happens when a report is made

If the information suggests a child is at risk of significant harm, officers will speak with the child and family and other people in their lives (e.g. teachers, doctors).

The result of the investigation may see a child removed from their family or the officer may provide advice on counselling or other support to the family.

Read more about what happens within child protection services.