Essential household contents grant
If you are uninsured, or unable to claim insurance, you may be eligible for financial assistance to provide a contribution towards replacing or repairing essential household contents, such as beds, linen and whitegoods, that have been lost or damaged in a disaster.
Grants of up to $1,765 for single adults and up to $5,300 for couples/families are available.
To be eligible, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- live in a disaster affected area where this grant is activated
- be uninsured or unable to claim insurance to replace or repair your household contents
- qualify under the income test (below).
You can be a tenant or an owner-occupier.
Income test (how much you earn)
Your gross (before tax) weekly income must be less than:
- individual: $988 ($51,398 per year)
- couple: $1,367 ($71,061 per year)
- sole parent, one child: $1,368 ($71,110 per year)
- couple, one child: $1,694 ($88,111 per year).
(For each additional child add a further $327 per week; for each dependent adult add $378 per week).
How to apply
Apply online via the Community Recovery Portal or by phoning the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 where a customer service officer will assist you to complete an online application.
When your application is completed and it is determined that you live in a disaster affected area, your application will be referred to your local Community Recovery Coordination Centre who will contact you by telephone to arrange a visit.
Then you will need to:
- Complete and sign the Applicant Information Form.
- Complete and sign the Essential Household Contents Grant Form.
- Provide a driver licence, rates notice or electricity bill to confirm the property is your principal place of residence.
- Meet the income test requirements.
If your application is successful your grant will be paid by one of the following methods:
- electronic funds transfer (EFT)
You will not be able to choose the payment method.