Skip links and keyboard navigation

Essential household contents grant

If you are uninsured, or unable to claim insurance, you may be eligible for financial assistance to provide a contribution towards replacing or repairing essential household contents, such as beds, linen and whitegoods, that have been lost or damaged in a disaster.

Grants of up to $1765 for single adults and up to $5300 for couples/families are available.


To be eligible, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • live in a disaster affected area where this grant is activated
  • be uninsured or unable to claim insurance to replace or repair your household contents
  • qualify under the income test (below).

You can be a tenant or an owner-occupier.

Income test (how much you earn)

Your gross (before tax) weekly income must be less than:

  • individual: $921 ($47,904 per year)
  • couple: $1,273 ($66,228 per year)
  • sole parent, one child: $1,275 ($66,274 per year)
  • couple, one child $1,579 ($82,117 per year)

(For each additional child add a further $306 per week; for each dependent adult add $352 per week).

How to apply

An application can be made by completing the online application form or by phoning the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 where a customer service officer will assist you to complete an online application.  

When your application is completed and it is determined that you live in a disaster affected area, your application will be referred to your local Community Recovery Coordination Centre who will contact you by telephone to arrange a visit.

Then you will need to:

  1. Complete and sign the Applicant Information Form.
  2. Complete and sign the Essential Household Contents Grant Form.
  3. Provide a driver licence, rates notice or electricity bill to confirm the property is your principal place of residence.
  4. Meet the income test requirements.

Grant payment

If your application is successful your grant will be paid by one of the following methods:

  • electronic funds transfer (EFT)
  • cheque.

You will not be able to choose the payment method.


For assistance with a life threatening situation call 000 immediately.

For assistance with non-life threatening situations such as help with a damaged roof, rising flood water, or storm damage call the SES on 132 500.

For assistance call the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349.

Follow @RecoveryQld on Twitter to help you prepare for storm and cyclone season, and receive community recovery updates when a disaster or emergency strikes.

Information in your language

Read our translated fact sheets about the Essential Household Contents Grant to find out more in your language.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
14 December 2016

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *