Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme
The Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme:
- is for Queensland households experiencing problems paying their electricity or reticulated natural gas bills as a result of an unforeseen emergency or a short-term financial crisis
- is one-off emergency assistance to help with paying your home energy bills
- pays up to $720 once every 2 years.
To be eligible you must be responsible for paying the outstanding bill (the bill does not need to be in your name) and meet one of the following:
- hold a current concession card, or
- have an income equal to or less than the Australian Government’s maximum income rate for part-age pensioners; contact Services Australia or the Department of Veterans' Affairs for details of the maximum income rate
- be part of your energy provider's hardship program or payment plan.
Full eligibility details, including the types of emergency situations you might get help for, are available from your energy provider's or participating financial counselling service.
Note: Jobseeker payments that are decreased due to reductions in the coronavirus supplement are not eligible for HEEAS.
Jobkeeper payments that are decreased due to planned reductions in payments are not eligible for HEEAS.
How to apply
Step 1: For more information, or to apply, contact your energy provider. They will start the application process after considering all the eligibility criteria. They will also provide you with an application number that you will need before completing the online application.
Step 2: Using that application number, complete the online application form.
Step 3: Your application will be assessed and if successful, your electricity or gas provider will receive the one-off payment to pay for your account.
- Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme provides concessions for people who have specific medical conditions requiring the use of an air-conditioner to regulate their body temperature.
- Electricity and gas rebates are available to eligible households.