Electricity and gas rebates
Queensland pensioners and seniors may be eligible for:
- the Electricity Rebate—$340.85 per year (GST inclusive)
- the Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate—$74.92 per year (GST inclusive).
Please note, all rebates are GST inclusive. Rebates for eligible card holders may appear as GST exclusive on bills.
Holders of a Foster Child Health Care Card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card are not eligible for the electricity rebate.
Rebates are available to people who have any of the below:
- Queensland Seniors Card
- Services Australia Pensioner Concession Card
- Services Australia Health Care Card* (Electricity Rebate only)
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (and receive the War Widow/er Pension or special rate TPI Pension)
- Asylum seeker status—residents will need to provide their ImmiCard details (Electricity Rebate only).
To be eligible, you must be the electricity account holder and also live alone or share your principal place of residence with (only) any of the below:
- your spouse
- other people who hold a Services Australia Pensioner Concession Card or Queensland Seniors Card
- other people wholly dependent on you
- other people who receive an income support or families payment from Centrelink who do not pay rent
- other people who receive an income support payment from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and who do not pay rent
- other people who live with the cardholder to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.
If you live in a caravan park or multi-unit residential building (e.g. apartment), you must also show that your electricity or reticulated natural gas is paid, based on metered consumption.
How to apply
Contact your gas retailer. You will need to provide certain details, so have copies of your bills and concession card handy so you can verify your eligibility. Rebates are automatically deducted from your bill.
If you have an account with an electricity retailer
Contact your electricity retailer. You can apply over the phone or ask your retailer to send you an application form. You will need to provide certain details and have copies of your bills and concession card handy so you can verify your eligibility. Rebates are automatically deducted from your bill.
If you live in an apartment complex, residential park, retirement village or a granny flat
Contact the person/organisation sending your electricity bill. Find out more about rebates for rebates for residents of home park or multi-unit residential premises.
If you receive your electricity through an Ergon card-operated meter
Go to the Ergon Energy Queensland website for more information. You will receive power cards for the value of your rebate.
You will need to provide certain details, so have your concession card and 8 digit meter number handy so you can verify your eligibility. If you need some help, get someone you trust (e.g. relative or community worker) to sit with you while you are on the phone.
Find out more
- Your Energy Savings website provides information about saving energy, saving money and available government assistance.
- The energy ratings and water ratings of appliances can help you compare products based on their energy and water efficiency.
- Phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
- The Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme provides concessions for people with specific medical conditions requiring the use of an air-conditioner to regulate their body temperature.
- The Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme helps low-income households pay energy bills at a time of crisis or in emergencies.