Skip links and keyboard navigation

Dangerous goods vehicle licensing

A dangerous goods vehicle licence authorises you to use a specific vehicle (or vehicles) to transport dangerous goods by road. A dangerous goods vehicle licence can list more than 1 vehicle.

A dangerous goods vehicle licence is issued for 1 year, but is suspended if the vehicle registration lapses or is cancelled.

The vehicle used to transport dangerous goods must be registered in Queensland and have current Department of Transport and Main Roads inspection requirements for that type of vehicle.

The vehicle must have adequate insurance to transport dangerous goods, as outlined in the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Dangerous Goods) Regulation 2008 (PDF, 648KB). The vehicle must be covered by an insurance policy or other form of indemnity of at least $5 million.

The driver must also have a dangerous goods driver licence.

Applying for a dangerous goods vehicle licence

To apply for a dangerous goods vehicle licence, visit a transport and motoring customer service centre, and bring:

Once your application has been processed, you will receive a dangerous goods label. You must tell us if you have replaced or disposed of any vehicles or if you want any vehicles removed from your dangerous goods vehicle licence, so we can update the licence.

Dangerous goods licence fees

The fee is payable on each vehicle and is calculated on the size of the vehicle/s you are licensing. Vehicles added to the licence during the year the licence is valid are charged a pro-rata fee. This is calculated on the months remaining on the licence.

View the pro-rata fee table.

A fee is not charged if you are removing a vehicle and adding another vehicle in the same transaction.

We will not give you a refund if you remove or dispose of a vehicle while your dangerous goods vehicle licence is current.

Dangerous goods vehicle labels

A vehicle transporting dangerous goods is identified by a label clearly displayed on the vehicle. You must display the label in a conspicuous place whenever you are transporting dangerous goods in a container with a capacity of more than 500L or more than 500kg.

We will give you a label for each vehicle listed on the dangerous goods vehicle licence.

Replacement labels

You can get a replacement label from a transport and motoring customer service centre.

You will need to bring a witnessed statutory declaration or a letter on business or company letterhead stating the reason for the loss of the label. You must also include your vehicle’s registration details and the dangerous goods licence number.

Vehicles that do not need to be licensed

A dangerous goods vehicle licence is not required for prime movers or converter dollies.

The licence is also not required when the dangerous goods being transported:

  • are in an intermediate bulk carrier
  • the intermediate bulk carrier is not packed or unpacked on the vehicle
  • the total capacity of intermediate bulk carriers containing dangerous goods on the vehicle is not more than 3,000L.

An intermediate bulk carrier is a rigid or flexible portable package for transporting dangerous goods that has been tested against the requirements of the Australian Dangerous Goods Code and is designed for mechanical handling.

Last updated
18 September 2015
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.