Aged care

Community and in-home aged care services

If you need help to enable you to stay living at home in your community, there are services that may be able to provide support.

My Aged Care provides information about disability, aged care and other support services for people who are 65 years or older and their carers. You can visit the My Aged Care website or call the contact centre on 1800 200 422.

If you are under 65 and have a disability or condition that restricts your day-to-day living, you may be eligible for support through the Community Care program.

Aged care homes

If you are no longer able to live in your own home, aged care homes can provide quality care and services in a safe environment.

There are varying levels of services offered in aged care homes. Some provide continual nursing care, while others provide mainly accommodation and personal care, with occasional nursing care.

Some homes specialise in looking after people with specific needs, such as people with dementia. Some homes also provide palliative care for people who have a life-limiting illness to maintain the best possible quality of life.

Eligibility for aged care homes

Before you can enter an aged care home, an aged care assessment team needs to assess your situation and approve you for care.

Find your local assessment team online.

Finding an aged care home

You can search for Australian Government-funded aged care homes online or your aged care assessment team can inform you about suitable aged care homes in your area.

Making a complaint

You can make a complaint about a home’s breach of its responsibilities under aged care legislation through the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner.