Victims' rights

If you have suffered harm as a result of a crime (including domestic and family violence) you have rights.

The Charter of Victims’ Rights describes the way a victim should be treated, as far as practicable and appropriate, by Queensland Government agencies and non-government organisations.

If you have been a victim of an offence that has been referred to the Mental Health Court, some information below may not be relevant to your circumstances. Please contact Queensland Health Victim Support Services for information and advice.

General rights

They should take your needs into account and treat you with respect, courtesy, compassion and dignity.

You have a right to privacy. Your personal information, including your address and phone number cannot be shared unless the law allows it.

You should be given information as soon as possible about services that can help you recover.

You have rights in the criminal justice system

You can expect to be informed about:

  • the progress of the police investigation, unless this may jeopardise the investigation
  • decisions about the prosecution of the accused person. This includes the charges brought against the accused person, not bringing charges, substantial changes to the charges or accepting a plea of guilty to a lesser or different charge
  • the name of the person charged with the crime
  • a warrant being issued   for the arrest of the accused person
  • court processes, including hearing dates and how you can attend court
  • any programs available to the accused person
  • the result of the criminal court proceeding against the accused person, including the sentence imposed and outcome of an appeal
  • an application for bail made by the accused person, outcomes of the bail application, any arrangements made for the release of the accused person, including any special conditions that may impact your safety or welfare
  • the trial process and your role as a witness (if you are one).

You also have a right to:

  • be protected at court from unnecessary contact with, or violence or intimidation by, the accused person and their witnesses, family members or friends
  • make a victim impact statement at the sentencing of the person found guilty, which expresses how the crime has harmed you
  • have your property that has been held for an investigation or as evidence returned as soon as possible.

Victim rights when the offender goes to prison

If you are registered on the Victims Register:

  • You have the right to information about the offender’s period of imprisonment, or escape. You may be advised if the offender transfers to another prison.
  • You will be given the opportunity to write to the parole board about granting parole to the offender.

Phone the Corrective Services Victims Register (1800 098 098) to find out if you are eligible and how to access this information. If the offender is under 18 years old, call the Youth Justice Victims Register for further information (13 74 68).

You have the right to make a complaint

You can make a complaint if you believe a Queensland Government agency or non-government organisation has not met your rights.

Download a complaint form or phone 1300 546 587 to request one.

Find out more about making a complaint.