Apply for an unarmed security officer licence

An unarmed security officer personally guards, patrols or watches another person’s property. They do this without a guard dog or weapon.

This includes:

  • in-house security (someone who guards, patrols or watches their employer’s property)
  • a loss prevention officer
  • a security gate officer.

You need to hold a current licence to do this job. To become licensed, you must:

An unarmed security officer personally guards, patrols or watches another person’s property. They do this without a guard dog or weapon.

You can also apply online.


To be eligible for a licence, you must:

  • be 18 years or older
  • not pose a risk to public safety
  • pass the required training course.

You are not eligible for a licence if you have been convicted of a disqualifying offence in the past 10 years, where a conviction was recorded.

You must also tell us if you have been found guilty of a disqualifying offence in the past five years, where a conviction was not recorded (this is known as an ‘unrecorded finding of guilt’). We may ask you for further information so we can assess if you are a suitable person to hold a licence.



When you lodge the form, you will need to attach 100 points of formal identification. These documents must be either original (if lodged at the counter) or certified copies.

Your identification must include at least one of the following five documents:

  • Birth certificate or extract
  • Passport
  • ImmiCard
  • driver’s licence
  • photo identification card.

You may also need to include some of the following documents to make up your 100 points:

  • citizenship certificate
  • ID card
  • social security card
  • letter from your employer
  • any other official letter, card or statement listed on the application form.


By law, the police need to fingerprint all security providers. We will contact you after you lodge your application form to explain what you need to do.

Learn more about fingerprinting.

Criminal history check

To confirm your suitability, we will submit your application for a criminal history check. This will be thorough and may be time consuming.

If you were born in New Zealand or have a New Zealand passport, you need to get a copy of your criminal history or a letter indicating you have no criminal history from New Zealand. For more information, visit the New Zealand Ministry of Justice website.

You don’t have to pay any fees to get a New Zealand criminal history check. We can only accept original documents dated within one month of the date you send them to us. Please note it takes 20 working days to process a request for a New Zealand criminal history check.

Processing time

The processing time is four to six weeks. This can take longer if you have not supplied us with the all the information we need or you have not paid the correct fees.


Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if:

  • you withdraw your application
  • we refuse your application.

You may also get a refund on the fees for:

  • fingerprinting
  • your criminal history check.


You need to do your training through a registered training organisation. Use the My Skills website to find a training provider.

Full course list

The training package for unarmed security officers under the Security Providers Act 1993, has been updated and replaces the CPP07 training package, which will no longer be accepted.

Your training must include all 14 core modules from the CPP20218 Certificate II in Security Operations listed below.

This training must also be completed if you are applying to add the unarmed security officer function to an existing security provider licence.

Name of course module Module code
Apply effective communication skills to maintain security CPPSEC2101 
Apply legal and procedural requirements to work effectively within a security team CPPSEC2102 
Apply WHS, emergency response and evacuation procedures to maintain security CPPSEC2103
Apply risk assessment to select and carry out response to security risk situations CPPSEC2104
Provide quality services to a range of security clients CPPSEC2105
Protect self and others using basic defensive techniques CPPSEC2106
Patrol premises to monitor property and maintain security CPPSEC2107
Screen people, personal effects and items to maintain security CPPSEC2108
Monitor and control access and exit of persons and vehicles from premises CPPSEC2109
Monitor and control individual and crowd behaviour to maintain security CPPSEC2110
Apply security procedures to manage intoxicated persons CPPSEC2111
Apply security procedures to remove persons from premises CPPSEC2112
Escort and protect persons and valuables CPPSEC2113
Provide first aid HLTAID011

Student visa holders

It is an offence under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 for a registered training organisation to provide training to an international student on a student visa, unless the training organisation holds registration on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Therefore, if you are in Australia on a student visa, you must make sure that the training organisation where you complete your training holds CRICOS registration.

Please note, training for each specified unit of competency must be completed through the CRICOS registered training provider. We will not accept a training certificate issued by a CRICOS registered training provider as a result of a credit transfer.

Restricted licences

You can apply for a restricted licence. This will let you finish your training as you work, as long as you’re supervised by a fully licensed provider.

A restricted licence only lasts for a term of six months. Before this term expires, you must:

  • complete the training requirements
  • apply for an unrestricted licence.

You cannot apply for an extension of a restricted licence.


A supervising unarmed security officer must:

  • give the restricted licensee detailed written instructions about the work they need to do
  • write down the tasks that the licensee performs
  • regularly check their progress (include written notes).