Apply for a resident letting agent licence

You must have a current licence to work as a resident letting agent. To get a licence, you will need to apply to us.

Application for an individual's licence (PDF, 393KB)

Authorised activities

A resident letting agent licence allows you to:

  • rent out and manage units in a building complex (on behalf of the owners and body corporate)
  • collect rents in the complex
  • operate a trust account.


On this licence, you must:

  • hold current body corporate approval for each building complex you manage
  • have a registered office in one of the building complexes you manage
  • have a licensed person in charge at each place of business
  • appoint a substitute licensee whenever you are absent from work
  • not sell any units in the complex you manage unless you hold a real estate agent licence.

We will treat multiple building complexes as a single complex if:

  • the complexes share common boundaries
  • the boundary is not a public road.


To be eligible for a resident letting agent licence, you must:

  • be 18 years or over
  • pass the required training course.


You are not suitable to hold a resident letting agent licence if you:

  • are an insolvent under administration
  • are currently disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate.
  • have been convicted of a serious offence within the past 5 years.

We also consider if you:

  • have a criminal history
  • have been an executive officer of a corporation which was previously licensed, that has gone insolvent
  • were the cause of a successful claim fund action
  • have been cancelled or suspended from holding a licence or registration certificate
  • have been previously disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate
  • are disqualified from being a company director
  • are incapable of satisfactorily doing the job of a licensee
  • are unsuitable because of your character or the character of your business associates
  • are allowed to work in Australia.

Serious offences

A serious offence is anything punishable by 3 or more years in prison, including:

  • violent offences (including threats to use violence)
  • fraud and dishonesty
  • drug trafficking
  • extortion
  • arson
  • unlawful stalking
  • an offence of a sexual nature.

Receivership or liquidation

If you have ever been an executive officer of a corporation, which was previously licensed, that has gone into receivership or liquidation, you must also tell us:

  • what circumstances caused it to happen
  • whether you took all reasonable steps to avoid these circumstances
  • what assets you had available to distribute
  • how much money (if any) you paid in dividends
  • whether you broke any laws relating to these circumstances
  • whether you are disqualified from being a company director or other officer.

You must also include a report from the receiver or liquidator that gives us:

  • a detailed list of your creditors
  • the amount of money you still owe to each creditor.


If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you need to:

  • give us a certified copy of your passport
  • have a visa that allows you to work in Australia.


When you lodge the form, you will need to attach formal identification. This must be a certified copy of any of the following documents:

  • Birth certificate or extract
  • Driver's licence
  • Passport
  • Citizenship certificate

You will need to pay certain fees when you lodge your application. These include:

  • the licence fee of $1,457.60 for 1 year or $2,732.60 for 3 years
  • a criminal history check fee of $39.35.

You will also need to attach your proof of qualifications.

Places of business

You may have multiple places of business. However, you must:

  • register all of your business addresses
  • follow the terms of all.

You must appoint a licensee to be in charge for each place of business. They can be licensed as either a:

  • resident letting agent
  • real estate agent.

We will consider multiple buildings to be a single place of business if they are:

  • on adjacent blocks of land
  • not separated by a public road.

Criminal history check

To confirm your suitability, we will submit your application for a criminal history check. This will be thorough and may be time consuming.

Processing time

The processing time is 4–6 weeks. This can take longer if your application is not complete. This might be because of:

  • missing information
  • unpaid fees.

We will contact you if you submitted an incomplete application. You will need to complete the application before we can proceed. Otherwise, we may withdraw your application.


Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if:

  • you withdraw your application
  • we refuse your application.

You may also get a refund on the fee for your criminal history check if it hasn’t been started yet.


You must pass these training subjects from a recognised provider in order to apply for a licence. The only exception is if you’ve held an equivalent licence within the past 2 years.

You must have successfully completed or been assessed as competent in the required subjects. These subjects are taken from the following industry-recognised training package:

  • Property Services training package (CPP07)

As of 1 July 2016, units taken from the Property Development and Management Training Package (PRD01) no longer form part of the approved training for a real estate agent licence.

Find a training provider in Queensland.

Property Services training package

If you use this provider, you will need to pass the following courses.

Course codes Name of course
BSBSMB406 Manage small business finances
CPPDSM4006A Establish and manage agency trust accounts
CPPDSM4007A Identify legal and ethical requirements of property management to complete agency work
CPPDSM4010A Lease property
CPPDSM4015B Minimise agency and consumer risk
CPPDSM4016A Monitor and manage lease or tenancy agreement