Work as a process server (field agent or subagent)
A process server is similar to a debt collector, but serves documents (such as a summons) instead of collecting debts.
You can operate:
- solely as a process server
- as a debt collector and process server.
You have the same application process either way. You will need to apply for a field agent licence or subagent registration.
Process serving activities
As a process server, you can visit individuals to serve them with:
- debt claims or notices
- legal documents, such as a writ or summons
- other formal documents.
A process serving appointment only needs to be a written statement from the client.
We issue field agents and subagents with:
- a licence or registration certificate
- a photographic identification card (photo ID).
You should have your photo ID on your person whenever you are working.
We will ask you for 2 passport size photographs when you renew your licence or registration. You must ensure that the photographs are clear and you are easily recognisable.
They must be certified by a person who:
- is at least 18 years old
- has known you for at least 12 months
- is not your spouse or de facto partner
- is not any other family member (by blood or marriage).
Show your licence
You must be able to show your licence, registration certificate or photo ID to:
- a client
- a debtor or targeted person
- one of our Inspectors
- anyone else you deal with in your business.
They can ask to see:
- your individual licence or registration
- your corporate licence
- any employee’s licence or registration.
You may show either your photo ID or a copy of a licence certificate.
Rules of operating
You must follow the same rules of operating as other debt collectors.
This means that you must:
- be appointed by a client
- not represent more than one party in any matter
- only recover your costs from your client, and not from the served party
- take reasonable steps to find out the facts of a case and avoid acting in error
- not misrepresent your lawful activities as a field agent
- follow the law when dealing with inspections
- have a licensee in charge of regulated business.