Moving out checklist

Before you move out

Complete the following tasks before you move out of your public housing property:

  • Contact your nearest Housing Service Centre at least 14 days before you leave and tell them you want to move out. If you don't, you might have to pay rent after you leave.
  • Complete a Notice of intention to leave (form 13).
  • Pay any rent you owe up to the handover day (the agreed date you’re leaving).
  • Tell us your new address or an address where we can contact you.
  • Make sure the property and garden are clean and tidy. We inspect the property and you would need to pay for any cleaning, repairs and maintenance.
  • Hand the keys in to your nearest Housing Service Centre on handover day. If you don’t return the keys, we take possession of the property and change the locks. You would have to pay for the new locks and we would charge you rent until we took back the property.

Read your rights and responsibilities in the Information statement (form 17a), which you received when you signed the state tenancy agreement.

After you move out

Once you move out, we perform several tasks:

  • Inspect the property for any damage and to see if any repairs, rubbish removal and cleaning are required.
  • Finalise your rental account up to the handover day (or the day we take possession if you don’t hand back the keys).
  • Check whether you have any maintenance debts and send you a letter to tell you.
  • Send you any money left in your account (if you have more than $5 credit) if you’ve given us a forwarding address. This takes 6 weeks.

Final property inspection

We would like you to be at the property during the inspection, so you can talk about the condition of the property with the person inspecting it.

Contact your nearest Housing Service Centre at least 2 working days before the inspection if you’d like to attend. Give the centre more notice if you live in a country or remote area.

During the final inspection, we compare the condition of the property when you left with the condition when you moved in. To do this, we look at the entry condition report that you completed when you moved in.

This helps us see what repairs are needed as a result of wear and tear. We don’t charge you for this type of repair.

We do charge you for any repairs needed due to damage, or cleaning or rubbish removal.

Debts for maintenance or cleaning

We will approach you to repay any maintenance debt you may have. You’ll have the opportunity to negotiate repayment of the debt. Read more about maintenance debt.

Getting a reference

Yes. Just ask your nearest Housing Service Centre.

Who to tell when you’re moving

Use this list to make sure the right people know you’re moving and your new address.

  • Electricity, phone, internet and gas service providers
  • Insurance providers: house contents, health, life and car
  • Employer
  • Bank, credit union or building society
  • Interest-free finance services
  • Centrelink / Department of Human Services
  • Australian Electoral Commission
  • Child/family day care
  • Dentist and doctor
  • Medicare
  • Paper deliveries and magazine subscriptions
  • Car registration
  • Driver’s licence
  • School or university
  • Superannuation funds
  • Car breakdown service (e.g. RACQ)
  • Vet
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Australian Tax Office
  • Pet registration (local council)
  • Pet Microchip Registry
  • Linkt (tolls)

You can pay Australia Post to redirect mail from your old address to your new address.