Under the Spectacle Supply Scheme (SSS), you may be eligible to receive a pair of basic prescription spectacles, once every 2 years.

Extras such as transitions, tinting, anti-reflective coating, UV guard and/or hard coat are not covered. If you would like these, you will need to pay for them yourself. You can have SSS lenses fitted to your own existing or privately purchased frames. Contact SSS about this option.


To apply for assistance under MASS, you must:

  • be a permanent resident of Queensland
  • have held a pensioner concession card, health care card or Queensland Government Seniors Card for at least 6 months.

If you hold a Gold Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card, you may be eligible for spectacles from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA).  Contact the DVA to find out more.

How to apply

Book an eye examination with an optometrist registered with SSS. See the list of registered providers (PDF, 97KB).

Your optometrist will help you to complete the MASS 30 Spectacle Supply Scheme Application Form (PDF, 409KB), attach their clinical assessment, and submit it to SSS.


Once you have received spectacles or lenses from SSS, you can reapply 2 years after the date of your last prescription.

Lost or broken spectacles

If you lose or break your spectacles, your prescription is the same and it is 2 years since you received your spectacles, you can apply to SSS for a replacement pair.

If you have had your spectacles for less than 2 years, you may have to pay for the repair or replacement.

You will need visit an optometrist registered with SSS and submit:

For more details about applying for repairs or replacement spectacles, read the Spectacle Supply Scheme Application Guidelines (PDF, 392KB).

More information

Contact the Spectacle Supply Scheme for more information about applying for spectacles.