Continence aids are used to manage the symptoms of poor bladder and bowel control. Under the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS), subsidies are available for an initial and ongoing supply of:
- disposable pads, nappies, pull-on style pads and all-in-one pads
- reusable bed pads, chair pads and pants
- indwelling and disposable catheters
- catheter valves
- sheaths (latex and non-latex)
- leg and night drainage bags
- stretch pants (only supplied with non-adhesive shaped pads).
To apply for assistance under MASS, you must:
- be a permanent resident of Queensland
- have a permanent or stable condition or disability
- hold a pensioner concession card, health care card or Queensland Government Seniors Card.
You need to be assessed by one of the following clinicians:
- continence specialist registered nurse
- occupational therapist
- registered nurse
Subsidy amounts and criteria
MASS will supply a subsidised amount of continence aids every 6 months, or every 12 months for indwelling catheters, and bed and chair pads. The subsidy varies according to the item needed.
These limits and the assessment criteria are listed in the Application Guidelines for Continence Aids (PDF, 333 KB).
How to apply
You can either download and complete the application forms before your appointment, or wait until you see your clinician and ask them to help you complete the forms.
You will be assessed for the initial supply, and then reviewed every 3 years.
For your initial application, you will need to complete:
- Part A of the MASS 50 Continence Aids: Initial and Review Application Form (PDF, 394 KB)
- MASS 84 Proxy Access to Centrelink Information Form (PDF, 147 KB) or include a photocopy of both sides of your concession card.
Your clinician will complete Part B, attach any supporting evidence and submit your completed application to MASS.
Reapply for the same aid
To reapply for the same type of continence aid (within 3 years), you need to call MASS on 1300 443 570 and place an order. You will need to have your previous approval letter and know the type and brand name of the aid you use.
Review applications are needed when you change the type of aid needed, or when it has been 3 years since your last application was reviewed.
You will need to complete Part A of the MASS 50 Continence Aids: Initial and Review Application Form (PDF, 394 KB). Your clinician will complete Part B, attach any supporting evidence, and submit your completed application to MASS.
Contact MASS if you have any questions about applying for continence aids.
You can also contact the Continence Foundation of Australia for help and advice about continence issues.