Queensland rollout—COVID-19 vaccine
- The vaccine rollout will happen in stages. People at higher risk of COVID-19 will be able to get the vaccine early.
- Eligible people can now book to receive a COVID-19 vaccine at a Queensland Health vaccination location.
Queensland's vaccine strategy is guided by the COVID-19 vaccine National roll-out strategy. Eligibility groups will be gradually opened based on specific criteria and by certain age groups, so we can manage the balance between vaccine availability and individual locations capacity.
Our rollout aims to protect the community and maintain a robust health system. Every Queenslander who wants to be vaccinated, will have the opportunity to be, so please remain patient as we work our way through everyone.
Queensland is Australia’s most decentralised and diverse state and vaccinating our population is no small feat. Queensland Health is working very closely with the Australian Government to ensure practical and sensible vaccination strategies are implemented in rural and remote communities. This means that for some rural and remote communities, a whole of community vaccination approach will be taken instead of vaccinating only those who are eligible according to the phases outlined in the National vaccination rollout strategy.
COVID-19 vaccine rollout
Who is eligible to book for a Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine
- Any adult aged 40-59 years
- All Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 16-59 years
- Aged care and disability care workers, regardless of age
- NDIS participants over the age of 16, and carers aged 16 and over of NDIS participants, regardless of age
- All healthcare workers, regardless of age
- Quarantine and border workers, regardless of age
- Critical and high risk workers e.g. emergency services
- Household contacts of quarantine workers, border workers and healthcare workers who are at a higher risk of having contact with COVID-positive patients, regardless of age.
Who is eligible for an AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine
- People aged 60 years and over, unless they have a referral from their GP
- Any person who has had a first dose of AstraZeneca, without any serious adverse events.
Who is not yet eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine
- Adults aged 39 and under
- Children under 16 years of age
Queensland Health is setting up vaccination locations across the state. Some of these are in existing locations like hospitals. Some are community based vaccination locations, like at a racecourse, community centre or showground. Other vaccination locations will be mobile and will travel to communities in more rural areas.
Read more about these locations and how to register and book.