Public register—Environmental Protection Act 1994
The Department of Environment and Science maintains a Public Register that provides information and documentation related to the administration and enforcement activities it undertakes in line with the Environmental Protection Act 1994.
You have the right to view and request information included on the Public Register. This information is available by:
- searching the online Public Register portal
(please refer to the search guide table below for the types of information contained in the portal)
- searching for Public Register information available online
(please refer to the search guide table below for types of information available online)
- submitting a Public Register information request
(please refer to the search guide table below for information that is not currently available online)
- accessing departmental information.
Search guide for Public Register information
The following table provides an easy search guide summarising how to access Public Register information. It can be sorted by information type or by availability options.
|Applications for an Environmental Authority (EA)||Online|
|Amendment to an Environmental Authority (EA) applications||Online|
|EA permits (current)||Public register portal|
|EA permits (past, including past versions of current EAs)||Information request|
|Eligibility criteria and standard conditions (Environmentally Relevant Activity (ERA) standards)||Online|
Progressive rehabilitation and closure plans (PRCP)
|Plans of operations||Information request|
|Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) (current)||Online|
|Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) (past)||Information request|
|Temporary Emission Licences (TELs) (since 2012)||Public register portal|
|Annual returns (incl. Progressive rehabilitation and closure plans and Coal Seam Gas evaluations)||Information request|
|Estimated rehabilitation cost decisions||Information request|
|Information notices about financial assurance||Information request|
|Public register portal|
|Suitable Operators (current)||Online|
|Suitable Operators (cancelled or suspended)||Information request|
|Environmental management and contaminated land registers. Note: a search of these registers incurs a fee.||Online|
|Public interest evaluation reports (PIE)|
Search the online Public Register portal
The following information is available in the online Public Register portal:
- Current and historic environmental authorities that have been granted, suspended, cancelled, surrendered and expired
- Most enforcement actions
- Temporary emissions licences.
The online Public Register portal forms part of the Public Register. It aims to make it easier for you to determine what environmental information you can access online and what information you can access by submitting a public register information request.
For more information about the Public Register Portal visit the frequently asked questions.
Please note that the Public Register Portal hosts a high volume of records and documents and errors may exist. If you believe there is an error in the records and/or documents in the Public Register Portal, please notify us by sending an email to Public.Register@des.qld.gov.au including:
- Your name
- Name of the company in the relevant record or document
- Reference number in the relevant record or document
- Your contact details
- Specific details of the error.
Submit a Public Register information request
Public Register information that is not currently available online can be accessed by submitting a request for Public Register information.
The following types of information are available by request in accordance with section 540 and 540A of the Environmental Protection Act 1994:
- Environmental authority (EA) document not available on the Public Register Portal
- Application documents for an EA or EA amendment (including information requests)
- Plans of operations
- Application documents for a proposed PRCP or amendment or a PRCP schedule (including information requests)
- Progressive rehabilitation and closure plans (PRCP)
- Audit reports of PRCP schedules
- PRCP schedules that are no longer in effect
- Reports about public interest evaluations
- Annual returns, including PRCP or Coal Seam Gas (CSG) evaluations
- Information notices about financial assurance
- Estimated rehabilitation cost decisions
- Monitoring programs (including results) carried out under the EP Act or a development approval
- Enforcement actions, (if not available online) not including penalty infringement notices or warnings
- Suitable operators who have had their registrations cancelled or suspended
There are no fees associated with these requests.
Response timeframes for Public Register information requests
All requests for Public Register information that is not currently available online are allocated a response timeframe based on the volume of items requested and/or the complexity of the request. The department will endeavour to provide a response within 10–60 business days, subject to its complexity and size.
The following table provides guidance on how long a Public Register information request may take.
Public Register information request category
Estimated response timeframe
10 business days
15 business days
25 business days
40 business days
60 business days
Other ways to access departmental information
The Public Register is just one way that you can access information and documents held by the department.
Information that is not included on the Public Register may still be able to be available through other options for accessing departmental information.
For general enquiries about Public Register information, contact the Department of Environment and Science.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1300 130 372 (select option 4).