We produce free publications, including reports, papers, manuals, newsletters and information sheets.
Some of our publications are for sale - like The Flora of Stradbroke Island, and print issues of the Queensland Herbarium journal Austrobaileya.
In this page we provide a list of some of these publications and how to obtain them.
Publications for free
Recent issues Austrobaileya are available online.
The Vegetation of Queensland
The Vegetation of Queensland: Descriptions of Broad Vegetation Groups describes the 98 broad vegetation groups (BVGs) defined for the 1:1 million mapping level and lists the most extensive regional ecosystems included in each group.
This document synthesises the information gained from more than 35 years of survey and mapping of vegetation and regional ecosystems by more than 80 staff at the Queensland Herbarium. The document is illustrated with 375 photographs, 108 tables and 103 maps, with detailed pre-clearing and remnant extent, and extent within the protected area estate.
Authors: John Neldner, Rosemary Niehus, Bruce Wilson, Bill McDonald, Andrew Ford and Arnon Accad.
The document is available for free download.
Queensland’s Regional Ecosystems. Building and maintaining a biodiversity inventory, planning framework and information system for Queensland
Regional Ecosystems provide a robust and systematic biodiversity inventory, planning framework and information system for Queensland. The development and refinement of the regional ecosystem classification and mapping of Queensland is described in this document.
Authors: John Neldner, Don Butler and Gordon Guymer
The document is available for free download.
Census of the Queensland Flora
The Census of the Queensland Flora provides a published list of all the known native and naturalised species of plants, algae, fungi and lichens in the state.
Manuals, reports, keys and guides
The following manuals, methodology, reports, papers, brochures and information sheets are available for free at our online library catalogue.
- Accad. A. Li. J. Dowling. R. Neldner. VJ and Turpin. G (2019) Mangrove dieback in the Gulf of Carpentaria: baseline for monitoring future trajectory in Queensland
- Butler, D.W., Neldner, V.J., Eyre, T.J. and Guymer, G.P. (2018) Science supporting revision of codes for self-assessed vegetation thinning and fodder harvesting in Queensland. A summary for peer review (PDF, 1.85MB).
- M.J. Laidlaw, M.A. Louden, A.R. Bean and E.J. Thompson (2017). Reducing weed risks from fodder, Queensland Herbarium, Toowong.
- Accad, A., Neldner, V.J., Kelley, J.A.R., Li, J. and Richter, D. (2019). Remnant Regional Ecosystem Vegetation in Queensland, Analysis 1997–2017. Queensland Department of Environment and Science: Brisbane.
- Neldner, V.J., Butler, D.W. and G.P. Guymer (2019) Queensland’s regional ecosystems: Building a maintaining a biodiversity inventory, planning framework and information system for Queensland, Version 2.0, Queensland Herbarium, Queensland Department of Environment and Science, Brisbane.
- Neldner, V.J., Wilson, B.A., Dillewaard H.A., Ryan, T.S., Butler, D. W., McDonald, W.J.F., Addicott, E.P. and Appelman, C.N. 2019, Methodology for Survey and Mapping of Regional Ecosystems and Vegetation Communities in Queensland. Version 5.0. Queensland Herbarium, Queensland. Department of Environment and Science, Brisbane.
- Prance, M.A. and Fechner, N.A. (2017). Collecting and preserving fungi specimens, a manual (PDF, 2.1MB).
- Rogers, R.W. (2016). The Lichens of Subtropical Queensland includes keys, descriptions and some images of lichen species found in the subtropics of Queensland.
- Fensham, R.J., Silcock, J.L., Laffineur, B. and MacDermott, H.J. (2016). Lake Eyre Basin Springs Assessment Project: Hydrogeology, cultural history and biological values of springs in the Barcaldine, Springvale and Flinders River supergroups, Galilee Basin springs and Tertiary springs of western Queensland. Report to Office of Water Science, Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation, Brisbane.
- Bean, A.R. (2016). Collecting and preserving plant specimens, a manual (PDF, 3.38MB).
- Accad A., Li J., Dowling R. and Guymer G.P. (2016). Mangrove and Associated Communities of Moreton Bay, Queensland, Australia: change in extent 1955-1997-2012.
- Queensland Herbarium (2015). Queensland Herbarium – documenting Nature (PDF, 3MB)
- Eyre, T.J., Kelly, A.L, Neldner, V.J., Wilson, B.A., Ferguson, D.J., Laidlaw, M.J. and Franks, A.J. (2015). BioCondition: A Condition Assessment Framework for Terrestrial Biodiversity in Queensland. Assessment Manual. Version 2.2.
- Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation (2015). Lake Eyre Basin Springs Assessment Project: Groundwater Dependent Ecosystem Mapping Report, Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation, Brisbane.
- Butler, D.W. and Halford, J.J. (2015). Opportunities for greenhouse benefits from land use change in Queensland. Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation, Brisbane.
- Eyre, T.J., Ferguson, D.J., Hourigan, C.L., Smith, G.C., Mathieson, M.T., Kelly, A.L., Venz, M.F., Hogan, L.D. and Rowland, J. (2014). Version 2.0. Terrestrial Vertebrate Fauna Survey Assessment Guidelines for Queensland.
- Newton, M.R, Addicott, E.P. and Bannink P. J. (2014) Vegetation Survey of the East Trinity Reclamation Site.
- Smith, G.C. and Venables, B.L. (2014) Birds of East Trinity Inlet – Acid-Sulphate Remediation Project
- Butler D.W., Halford J.J. and Evans M.C. (2014). Carbon farming and natural resource management in eastern Australia. Queensland Department of Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts, Brisbane.
- Smith, G.C. (2013). Vertebrate Survey Effort across Queensland.
- Batianoff, G.N., Neldner, V.J., Naylor, G.C. and Olds, J.A. (2012). Mapping and evaluating Capricornia Cays vegetation and regional ecosystems.
- Dowling, RM. (2012). Report on the effects of the January 2011 flood on the Mangrove Communities along the Brisbane River.
- Fairfax, R.J., Thompson, E.J. and Neldner, V. J. (2012). Rapid Investigation into the Effects of the 2011 Floods on Floodplain Vegetation. Case studies from the Burnett and Condamine Rivers.
- Wilson, P.R. and Taylor, P.M. (2012). Land Zones of Queensland (PDF, 8.78MB). ISBN: 978-1-920928-21-6
- Fairfax, R.J., Neldner, Ngugi, M.R. and Dowling, R.M. (2012). Patterns of road surface movement after three endurance horse-riding events in protected areas, south-east Queensland.
- Fairfax, R.J., Dowling, R. D. and Neldner, V.J. (2012). The use of infra-red sensors and digital cameras for documenting visitor use patterns: a case study from D’Aguilar National Park, south-east Queensland, Australia
- Eyre, T.J., Kelly, A.L., and Neldner, V.J. (2011). Method for the Establishment and Survey of Reference Sites for BioCondition. ISBN: 978-1-7423-0916
- Borsboom, A.C., Couper, P.J., Amey, A., Hobson, R. and Wilson, S.K. (2010). Rediscovery of the endangered Retro Slider (Lerista allanae) in the Clermont region of central Queensland.
- Queensland Herbarium (2010). Scientific Monitoring Program for The South East Queensland Horse Riding Trail Network.
- Batianoff, G.N., Naylor, G.C., Dillewaard, H.A. (2009). Coringa-Herald National Nature Reserve: Assessment of vegetation conditions, ecology and resilience to environmental stressors, including climate change and pests. ISBN 978-1-920928-16-2
- Dowling, R. (2008). Investigation of Mangrove Dieback Fitzroy River, Rockhampton.
- Key to the eucalypts of greater Brisbane (2006)
- Key to the wattles of greater Brisbane (2006)
- Borsboom, A.C. (2005). Xanthorrhoea: A review of current knowledge with a focus on X. johnsonii and X. latifolia, two Queensland protected plants-in-trade.
- Kirkwood, A. and Dowling, R. (2002). Investigation of Mangrove Dieback, Pioneer River Estuary, Mackay.
- Fox, I.D., Neldner, V.J., Wilson, G.W. and Bannink, P.J. (2002). Vegetation of the Australian Tropical Savannas. ISBN: 0 7345 2700 4. Please note: contact us for hard copy maps and CD or digital spatial data—postage and handling applies.
- Weed Spotters’ Queensland Network monthly bulletins.
Publications for sale
Contact us if you are interested in buying any of the publications below:
- Austrobaileya is the annual journal of the Queensland Herbarium. Recent issues are available free online.
- Stephens, K.M. and Sharp, D. (2009). The Flora of North Stradbroke Island. Environmental Protection Agency, Brisbane. ISBN: 978-1-920928-15-5.
- Harden, G., McDonald, W.F. and Williams, J. (2007). Rainforest Climbing Plants: A field guide to their identification. Ligare Book Printer: Riverwood NSW.
- Harden, G., McDonald, W.F. and Williams, J. (2007). Rainforest Trees & Shrubs – A field guide to their identification. Ligare Book Printer: Riverwood NSW.
- Playford, J. and Murray, R. (2000). Threatened Plants – Active Bushcare. The Centre for Conservation Biology, University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- Willmott, W. (2007). Rocks and Landscapes of the Sunshine Coast. 2nd edition. Kingswood Press: Underwood Qld.
- Willmott, W. (2006). Rocks and Landscapes of the National Parks of Central Queensland. Kingswood Press: Underwood Qld.