Skip links and keyboard navigation

Marine park activities

You may need a permit for activities in a protected marine park.

Marine park zoning plans list the activities that are unrestricted, allowed with a permit or prohibited.

You may need a permit for:

  • most tourism activities and commercial whale watching
  • construction of jetties and pontoons
  • installation and operation of structures, including moorings
  • any work such as repairs to structures
  • dredging and dumping
  • waste discharge from a fixed structure
  • anchoring and mooring for an extended period
  • education programs
  • research
  • collecting
  • traditional hunting.

Permits help marine park managers to:

  • limit impacts on high-use and sensitive areas
  • separate potentially conflicting activities
  • collect data for management plans
  • monitor activities that may eventually damage marine parks
  • provide guidelines for activities
  • encourage all marine park users to behave responsibly.

How to apply

Before applying

Before applying, please contact us to discuss your proposed activity or to schedule a meeting.

We can provide direction and advice about your application such as:

  • information and support documents you will need
  • timeframes you will need to meet.

Submit your application

To apply please send us a completed permit for (State only) marine parks application form with attachments.

Application processing time

You must be issued with a permit before you can begin your activity.

  • Assessment of your permit application can take up to 60 business days.
  • If we need to ask you for more information, it may take an additional 20 business days to process your application.

Permit fees

Fees may apply for the assessment of permit applications and continuations. These are outlined in the Marine Parks Regulation 2006.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last reviewed
23 September 2016
Last updated
7 October 2014

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *