State land rent relief – COVID-19 assistance
In response to the impact of COVID-19, the Queensland Government is providing rent relief for holders of leases, licences and permits on state land.
Depending on your rental category, you may be eligible to receive a:
The following categories of leases, licences or permits are eligible for a rent waiver:
- Category 11 (primary production)
- Category 13 (business)
- Category 14.2 (large sporting and recreational clubs with over 2000 members)
- Category 15 (communication sites)
- Category 16 (divestment i.e. industrial estates).
The following are not eligible for a rent waiver:
- Leases, licences and permits held by a federal, state or local government entity, a statutory authority or a government-owned corporation
- Leases, licences or permits on minimum rent.
If you are not eligible for a rent waiver, your rent may still be deferred (see below for details).
Lessees who receive a waiver and have tenants who are operating a commercial business are expected to pass on an appropriate amount of land rent savings to these tenants.
How the rent waiver works
If you receive rental invoices quarterly, we have waived the payment of rental invoices due in the following periods:
- 1 April 2020 to 30 June 2020
- 1 July 2020 to 30 September 2020.
The following arrangements apply if you receive rental invoices annually:
- If you have paid your annual rental invoice for the 2019-20 billing period, that part of the annual rental amount for the period 1 April 2020 to 30 June 2020 will be refunded to you. We can also credit your account as long as you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 May 2020.
- The annual rent invoice for the 2020-21 billing period will be adjusted to remove the rental amount due from 1 July 2020 to 30 September 2020. This rent invoice will be sent on 1 November 2020 and payment will be due on 1 December 2020.
If the calculated refund or adjustment results in your rental payment being lower than the minimum rent payable for your rental category , you will only receive a refund or adjustment down to the minimum rent.
IMPORTANT: You do not need to take any action to receive the rent waiver. The Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy will automatically waive your rent.
If you are not eligible for a rent waiver and you receive rental invoices quarterly, your rent payable for the period 1 April 2020 to 30 June 2020 will be automatically deferred for payment until 1 September 2020.
No action is necessary.
Call 1800 841 397 to speak to a member of our rental team.