Safe transport of cylinders
Transporting gas cylinders in enclosed vehicles can pose a safety risk and is regulated by law.
When transporting gas cylinders:
- Do not carry a cylinder greater than 9kg in an enclosed vehicle.
- You can transport up to 2 cylinders (of 9kg or less) at a time in an enclosed vehicle.
- Secure each cylinder upright in the vehicle, preferably in the boot, with a plug firmly fitted in the POL valve.
- You may carry a 9kg cylinder to a retailer for exchange.
- You may carry a 3kg and a 9kg cylinder to a retailer for refilling.
Most removalist companies will not transport gas cylinders. Some gas suppliers operate an exchange system—you can surrender a cylinder in one city and receive a voucher for a replacement cylinder in your new city.
To retain an empty cylinder, have it certified as ‘gas free’ by a gas supplier or approved cylinder test station.