Emergencies and disasters
If you are involved in a clean-up after an emergency or disaster (e.g. fires or floods) you could come across dangerous objects such as explosives.
These could include:
- small arms ammunition
- marine flares
- blasting explosives
- propellant powders.
The Explosives Inspectorate provides a 24 hour advice and response service to emergency agencies during disaster relief operations.
What to do
If you possess explosives or find explosives:
- Do not touch the explosive
- Secure the area
- Call the Explosives Inspectorate on 1300 739 868 (24 hour emergency response hotline)
- Call the Police
What will happen
- Explosive items will be removed or destroyed.
- If the explosive is too dangerous to be removed, another method of disposal will be used.
- Read about disposing of unwanted explosives.
- Download the poster Explosives discovered after emergencies and disasters (1.7MB). Find out what to do if you have a lost or damaged explosives licence.